220v STC-1000 Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SippinSudz

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've received the wrong product in the mail. Ordered a 110v STC1000, received a 220v. He refunded me 100% and said keep it.

So, if i plan on continuing with a temp control box and wire up a Box with a socket, using a Step up transformer from 110v to 220v into the STC-1000 to power it... What is gonna happen to my chest freezer and heating source which already run off 110v if they're plugged into the sockets that I've wired this 220v STC into...

I'm wondering if I should just sell this 220V STC1000 and order a 110V

Please help with some suggestions

IF you have a 110 -> 220V transformer, you can easily use STC to control your 110V freezer and heater. STC1000 output is just a relay and it can control any voltage.
However as I know 220v version of STC has a Celsius indication.

Celsius is perfect.
I'm glad the STC1000 can still be wired up and control different voltages.
Thanks for the reply

Try wiring it up just like a 120V model. You can't exceed to voltage limits by hooking it up to a lower voltage than it's rated for. There is a good chance it will work just fine. Lots of modern electronics are actually designed to work with 110V to 240V, 50 Hz to 60 Hz inputs. Since it's a freebie, you have no $'s at risk.

Brew on :mug:

My next question is...
What transformer watt do I need?

Only thing available right now is 100w step up/down for 20$ here in town.

The manual says running power for my STC1000 is only 3watts?...

@doug293cz: That is not a good idea in this case. The stc does not use a switching power supply, just a regular transformer. The unregulated output of said transformer powers the relays, so it will not function properly.

Either you can remove the transformer and use an external 110-12v transformer (wall wart) like this. OR you can remove the relays and substitute them for 5v equivalents (cheap on ebay).

Cheers!

@alphaomega...
You're telling me if I hook up my STC1000 normally, but using a step up transformer to power the 220v STC, the relays going to my plugs which will be powered by another 110v source won't work properly??

@SippinSudz: No, a step up transformer will work just fine.
Just connecting a 220v STC directly to 110v will not work.

Wiring diagram

temp-controller-wiring-diagram_220.jpg

From that diagram, it's looking like I have to splice the power cable of the transformer which will give me the 110v I need for everything.

I really appreciate the help. It's nice seeing someone doesn't want me to kill my electronics

I'll have to cut the end off my power cord of the transformer, and splice the hot line with the 110v hot line right?

So I'll have 110v cord that plugs into wall, with transformer, hot relay, and cold relay all tied in to each other.

Anything I'm missing?

I need help from someone.

I'm stuck on the #2 port of the STC.

I have 220v hot(black) going into #1.

My colours are black(hot) white(neutral) and green(ground)

I have black in 1, 5, 7.
The problem I have is in the diagram when the transformer appears to have a white leaving the transformer to the electrical socket.

Ugh

The wiring diagram that @Brumateur posted is pretty much as clear as it can be.
If you have trouble following that, then I would suggest you get some help wiring it up from someone who has a bit more experience. It is not that hard to do, but if you are not confident in wiring yourself, then you really should get some assistance.
You not only need to make the right connections, but also make them safe.

Cheers!

I'll be getting some assistance from the technicians at work later today. I was hoping to have it all prepped before I go to them a solder, wire it all in.

I have the output wire of the transformer with a black, white green. I've run the black into the #1 terminal. Do I run the white into the #2 OR do I cut a seperate white wire, and run the white wire from #2 to the neutral side of the electrical socket

I'll be getting some assistance from the technicians at work later today. I was hoping to have it all prepped before I go to them a solder, wire it all in.

I have the output wire of the transformer with a black, white green. I've run the black into the #1 terminal. Do I run the white into the #2 OR do I cut a seperate white wire, and run the white wire from #2 to the neutral side of the electrical socket

Could you make and post picture of your transformer?

You can plug this transformer to separate 110V outlet and then connect 220V output directly to 1 and 2 terminal. It doesn't matter wich 220 wire goes to 1 or 2

Latest posts

Back