Not sure what is happening here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYeric

Reaction score
I have an Irish ale in the secondary now. I made it once before a while back, and it was awsome. I followed the 1-2-3 rule for the process of primary secondary etc.

The only difference is this time I used WLP0004 instead of the granular that I used before. When I moved it to the secondary after a week and a couple days. It seemed all quiet and tasted good.

I am going into my second week in the primary and for the past few days it has a very light haze on top and there is a lot of residue in the bottom. The haze on top is barely noticable.

What is very noticable is a ring of tiny little fizzy like bubbles all the way around the edge on top of the wort. It also does not appear to be clearing as well as other batches.

Is this still fermenting after almost three weeks? Is there an infection brewing? Should a re-rack to a second secondary and let it sit another couple weeks or just bottle in another few days?

If you have a hydrometer, check the gravity a couple times over the course of a week or so. If it stays the same, you're ready to bottle. If you don't have a hydrometer, give it some more time in the fermenter just to be safe, and buy a hydrometer for your next batch.

Bobby_M said:
In my opinion, you probably racked it to secondary a bit too soon. It's still fermenting, but at a more subdued rate. Just let it keep going until it clears.

Yea? I was thinking about it and I kept this a little cooler than usual probably an average of 65. So that may have affected the fermentation.

Any good reason to re-rack again to another secondary or is that unnecessary?

Just let it sit. WLP0004 is probably less flocculate than the dried yeast you are used to. Plus, unless you made a starter, it will take longer to ferment.

Back