Another brew stand - 10 months in the making

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HLT done with HERMS coil inside. Everything on the tubing is Swagelock.

image-3387994145.jpg

image-589136635.jpg

That is a damn good job dude!! I'd be curious as to what you have into the stand as far as $$? Not including the kettles...

That is a damn good job dude!! I'd be curious as to what you have into the stand as far as $$? Not including the kettles...

I'm afraid to work it up. A lot of the raw material I was fortunate enough to source through work for cheap. Some of it I had on hand. For the most part, the expensive stuff was in all of the smaller components. That stuff adds up fast, and if you don't have a plan going into it, it can really nickel and dime you.

Got the chiller mounted last night.

Yes, I am aware that it won't drain the way that it's mounted. The idea behind the way it is, was so that it would be protected from being bonked or knocked around when the stand is being pulled out, etc. Another reason was so that the temp probe cable was as far away from the BK burner as possible. For now I just plan on blowing the excess water out with an air compressor after cleaning it. We'll see how that works. I can always move it later if I need to.

Chiller came from Morebeer! Put custom fittings on it to accommodate the orientation, and didn't want to spend an extra $50 for two fittings that are brazed on.

After 5 brew days the stand is awesome. No complaints as of yet. I do need one more port on the upper front of the HLT, exactly like the MT, for recirculating. Something that was spaced/overlooked when originally designing.

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

That is a great looking set-up, love the tangential inlet. What thermometers and timer are those and can you post the schematics for that control panel if you still have them.

EDIT: Love series TID? and with which probe?

That is a great looking set-up, love the tangential inlet. What thermometers and timer are those and can you post the schematics for that control panel if you still have them.

Temp controllers are these: 110V, F display.
Thermometer for the chiller is this: 110V, F display.
Timer is this: 115V supply.

I have a schematic, but a lot of it I shot from the hip when I added things. Send me a PM if you're interested and I'll see what I can work up. Most of it, I got from another HBT user then just implemented more onto it (timer, chiller thermometer).

EDIT: Probes are these. I got 3 of them. The wires are 8' long, so for the chiller I needed an extra length to splice into it so it would reach the panel. Also got 3 of these for the Ts in the outlets where I mounted them. The 4" sensor length is plenty, and still allows for a deeper mount and still able to open/close the ball valves on the kettles.

I cannot wait to get started on mine next spring! I'm going to have to meet up with you to check this one out and maybe steal some idea's from it.

How's the stand doing? I'm assuming you've put quite a few more brew days on it since your last update. Anything you find you didn't like/want to change?

OT: Had one of your beers at A Beer at A Time in Washougal a couple weekends ago. I believe it was Son of Malice IIPA. It was fantastic! I don't exactly remember what it was that I specifically liked about it though since I was about 4-5 beers deep at this point. I simply remember that it was awesome. Going back to A Beer at A Time this weekend with a buddy who is in town. I will order another and give him a taste as well.

How's the stand doing? I'm assuming you've put quite a few more brew days on it since your last update. Anything you find you didn't like/want to change?

OT: Had one of your beers at A Beer at A Time in Washougal a couple weekends ago. I believe it was Son of Malice IIPA. It was fantastic! I don't exactly remember what it was that I specifically liked about it though since I was about 4-5 beers deep at this point. I simply remember that it was awesome. Going back to A Beer at A Time this weekend with a buddy who is in town. I will order another and give him a taste as well.

Hey, thanks for the support!

I think Beer at a Time is fresh out of our beer at the moment. NW Liquid gold off Fourth Plain might be your only bet at getting some (they have one of the last kegs, until we keg up what we last brewed). Next couple weeks you should see our Porter and Malice out around in places.

In regards to the stand, I think I've got about 7 batches on it so far.

Some things I'd do differently next time:

- All stainless tubing for the stand
- Bigger control panel
- Mount the chiller vertically (I knew this going into it, just didn't have any other choice)

Positive things:

- Tangential inlet for the boil kettle is so awesome. Whirlpooling before the chiller really clears things up and adds a little punch to your aroma hops.
- Swagelock fittings, cam locks, and spending a little extra on your little things go a long way.

I'll be brewing on it probably two or three times a week coming up here shortly. I start full time next week!

Cheers,

Awesome! Ill definitely be keeping an eye out for your brews around town.

Good to know about your likes and dislikes. I have been debating a few small things here and there just due to me being a cheap ass when it comes to luxuries that I could get by without. That will probably not be the case when I do my stand though.

I bet your extremely excited to start full time next week!

Fine job, this is a project for next year, so I may steal some design ideas, as well. Now I just need to learn to TIG weld......

Back