Thoughts on a cherry cyser recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wickerman

Reaction score
I'm going to be attempting my first cyser this week, and was looking for some input. Here is what I have in mind for a 3 gal batch-

-2 gals fresh pressed cider
-6lbs orange blossom honey
-(2) 12oz cans apple concentrate
-32oz bottle of cherry juice
-packet of D47 or safale S-04

My concern is that 6lbs of honey for three gallons will be too sweet, especially with S-04. I want it to be on the sweet side, just not overwhelming. I don't really care how strong it is, just looking for a good taste. I have also been thinking of kicking it up to 5 gallons by adding another gallon of cider, 32oz bottle of cherry juice, and topping with water.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
wickerman

I think that is a lot of fermentables for a 3 gallon batch. I tried to crunch the numbers but without exact brands and nutrition data it is tough. Just googling around the most common 32oz cherry juice bottle is concentrated tart cherry juice. I used a generic brand of that as a base for calculations and just some treetop apple concentrate for the 12oz cans and went off the sugar content of fresh apples for estimating the cider. I came up with an estimate OG of 1.164. Taken dry is over 20% ABV. S-04 is a medium alcohol tolerance beer yeast with an attentuation on the lower side of beer yeasts. I think it will poop out way to soon for this brew. But if you top off these ingrediants with water to 5 gallons then your estimated gravity is 1.098. In a much better posistion for your yeast with possibly a little sweetnes left behind.

I think the recipe sounds great but just change the size to 5 gallons and top off these ingrediants with water.

Sounds good but a bit high gravity for ale yeast.
I have something like this cold crashing at the moment with 5 lb honey and 4 gallons of juice. It gave me a potential of something like 11% ABV (1.082 OG, to be stopped sweet). I used Safale-05.

I agree with the above--except perhaps the adding of water. Use more juice if you can get it, or maybe just lessen the honey and go with your original 3 gallon batch. Another thing if you read the cherry cider thread over in the cider forum, they discuss some of the difficulties of getting a good cherry flavour in the finished product--so maybe save the cherry juice and backsweeten with it in secondary, or add later in primary?

Thanks for the replies. Pretty much what I was thinking after I started to put thought into it. I'll have an extra gallon of cider I can use, but I'll have to find out if I can get more. I guess I'll go with D47, and maybe wait to add the cherry juice to the secondary. Is a gallon of water too much to add? I figure if I have 3 gals cider, 1/2 gal honey, and 24oz concentrate that leaves a little less than 1.5 gallons to make 5. If I leave a 1/2 gal of space for the cherry juice , that means I'll have around a gallon that I need to fill. Also, how long should I wait to rack/add cherry juice?

Thanks,
wickerman

Back