grapefruit mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyBeerbottles

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Thinking about a grapefruit mead made from grapefruit juice and honey with an orange sliced up. Any suggestions on adding anything else like raisins currants or leaving them out and what would be the best yeast for something like this.

Awesome! :D I can't wait to hear about it. I was going to do one two days ago, but it was a 5 gal. recipe and I chickened out. So instead of that, I used 1 grapefruit, 2 lemons, and 2 oranges. I'll let you know how mine turned out as well!

Also, do you plan on using the entire grapefruit, or just the zest and fruit?

Okay so here's what I did.

Half gallon of ruby red grapefruit cocktail from concentrate
3 lbs of mesquite honey ( trader joes )
1/2 cup raisins ( Zante currants )
1 lime quartered
1/2 tsp yeast nutrient
1/2 tsp yeast energizer
14 oz water
1tsp red star premier cuv'ee yeast

Tasted awesome and I'm sure it's going to be great! I didn't bother to do a OG reading because this will be sweet. I plan on adding some citra hops 1/2 oz, and 1 fresh red grapefruit ( no rind ) when I rack this in 30 days into secondary for 7 days then rack again and leave for a year then bottle for 6 months...

image-1641806374.jpg

JohnnyBeerbottles said:
Okay so here's what I did.

Half gallon of ruby red grapefruit cocktail from concentrate
3 lbs of mesquite honey ( trader joes )
1/2 cup raisins ( Zante currants )
1 lime quartered
1/2 tsp yeast nutrient
1/2 tsp yeast energizer
14 oz water
1tsp red star premier cuv'ee yeast

Tasted awesome and I'm sure it's going to be great! I didn't bother to do a OG reading because this will be sweet. I plan on adding some citra hops 1/2 oz, and 1 fresh red grapefruit ( no rind ) when I rack this in 30 days into secondary for 7 days then rack again and leave for a year then bottle for 6 months...

Thanks for the info man! :) I'm going to do this soon, for sure. I'll make sure to post results.

Back