Travel for work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How often do you travel for work?

• More than twice per month

• Maybe once a month

• Less than 4 times per year

• Never

Results are only viewable after voting.
Not quite sure how to answer that one. I am actually a travel nurse and moved out of my home toen, Bronx NY, and have been moving around ever since. About four years now. I used to get a new assignment every three to six months. Now, I pretty much take ajob and stay there till I am sick of it, or find more money somewhere.

When we met, my wife was gone two weeks out of each month. Man I miss those days. It sucked being apart (because we were dating) and when we got together - WOW.

I've had jobs that ranged from 75% travel down to zero, most of them closer to zero. I'm looking forward to the day when my startup can afford to send me to visit my manufacturers, in Taiwan and China. Not to mention the order fulfillment company, conveniently located in Denver. Anyone think of a better place to go in October? Except Munich, of course.

Cheesefood said:
When we met, my wife was gone two weeks out of each month. Man I miss those days. It sucked being apart (because we were dating) and when we got together - WOW.

I hear you! I'm usually gone 15-20 days a month. Nothing like 12 honeymoons per year...

Cool. Keep the answers coming.

For a class this quarter, I (along with my group) have to develop a business plan for a product or service and prepare a marketing plan and financials. We have an idea and we'll need to create several surveys to help determine profitability. I'll probably be asking you guys for your input quite often. I can't tell you what the product is quite yet (because it would violate the integrity of the surveys) but you'll figure it out soon enough. I know that this crowd is perfect for it.

Likewise, I'd like to enroll your assistance from time to time. I might ask you to post the poll to other forums you might frequent. No personal info will be captured, I swear. I probably won't even capture IP addy's since I won't really need them. Just age, gender, and a few occupational and personal questions.

This is a BIG class for me, and I'm hoping you all can help.

Brewnurse said:
Not quite sure how to answer that one. I am actually a travel nurse and moved out of my home toen, Bronx NY, and have been moving around ever since. About four years now. I used to get a new assignment every three to six months. Now, I pretty much take ajob and stay there till I am sick of it, or find more money somewhere.

Hey I was thinking about doing that, do you like it?
Can you get licsensed in Europe?

Brewnurse said:

How often do you have a trip that requires an overnight stay at a hotel?

Ivan Lendl said:
Hey I was thinking about doing that, do you like it?
Can you get licensed in Europe?

Do I like it?.............most of the time, but it depends. There are many different specialties and you can find many areas to work in. I myself work in the ER and hate/love it. How's that for an answer?!
As for the license in Europe, you first would have to get your Us state license and then apply for one in the country you want to work. Warning, it takes a few months and the health care system in Europe is totally different then the US, as far as nursing goes. It has changed recently I believe.
It is a great paying job and you can work in any city in the US! Look into it , and if you need any more info just shoot me aPM, I'll be glad to help!

Cheesefood said:

That is the truth bro! One big plus for a job with travel.

If I had kids (no time soon) I wouldn't travel so much. I voted once/month. I wouldn't want to do much more. Work asked me to go to Holland for 4-6 months but that is too long for me. I've done 1 month trips and that seems to be the perfect amount of time in a different place before I wanna come home.

I go to 3-4 day conferences a few times a year. I kindof enjoy getting away from the family and being a little more independent, but the actual travelling part, eating restaurant food for every meal, etc, really sucks.

It's a nice change of pace, but I wouldn't want to have to do it all the time. And it's alwasy nice to get home to my wife, my kids, my own house, real food, my own bed,. and of course my own beer.

With my current job, I currently have an open invitation to go to China and Brazil. My company also has a scientific laser system for atmospheric research in Antarctica, which I may one day decide to make the journey there. With my old job, I've been throughout the U.S. and made two trips to Israel.

erbiumyag said:
With my current job, I currently have an open invitation to go to China and Brazil. My company also has a scientific laser system for atmospheric research in Antarctica, which I may one day decide to make the journey there. With my old job, I've been throughout the U.S. and made two trips to Israel.

Antarctica is HIGH on my list of places to visit. There's something about it that just seems so mysterious and enticing. I'd like to visit both Poles before dying.

Cheesefood said:
I'd like to visit both Poles before dying.

These two guys?

Shmenge.jpg

I was on the road 23 weeks last year and 22 weeks the year prior.

I just came off a 2 week trip and I'll be home for 1 week then gone again for 1 week. THAT may be all my trips for this year...but who knows???:confused:

On an average year, 40 weeks(4 day weeks) a year. It sucks when you have childeren at home, but thats what you get when you live in a right to work state:)off: ). Logged about 50,000 miles on the company rig last year, and countless air miles.

I rarely travel for work, maybe once a year on average if that. Last time was December 2005 to San Diego. Attended a seminar that ran Wednesday to Friday then stayed over the weekend and hit as many bars and breweries as I could. My wife travels on average once every couple of months for 3-5 days at a time. I usually make a list of breweries for her to visit in and around the city she's traveling to.

I'm actually closer to about two trips per 3 months. It's nice to have seen all the major cities in the US and I even got to go to Athens, Greece on company money last year. Next up, Minneapolis, Omaha, San Francisco, Phillidelphia.

I used to travel about once a month for a week at a time. Then I got a promotion and started travelling a lot less. Now they only send me out to a customer when things are really screwed up and they need me to fix it.

I travel all the time for work. I've logged over 22,000 miles already this year on Continental. I should make Platinum for 2008 by the end of June.

I travel to the Northeast US every Monday and return by Friday every week to Ottawa, IL. Just a little travel time!!!!

Back