First time keg question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark_Ale

Reaction score
I have a scottish ale I want to keg. I have never kegged before. I dont want to use priming sugar. Its ready to come out of secondary, but I just want to age it for a while, I am not ready to drink it yet. Once I siphon into the keg do I just pop some pressure on it and store it? How much pressure? Whats the best thing to do? Thanks for the help

I add a tiny amount just to settle the lid seal. If yours seals well then you don't need to but there's no reason not to. I also do it so I can purge the airspace with CO2

You can either do what orfy said or I will add CO2 to serving psi and just leave it until I'm ready to drink. Purge a couple of times to get out any O2. When you think it's aged enough, it will be all carbonated and ready to go..

Or, you can just let it age in the keg just like another secondary vessel without CO2 and hook it up when your ready. pretty much your choice..

I would force carbonate instead of priming your keg. You have more control. A Scottish ale should have .75-1.3 volumes of CO2 (they're pretty low on the CO2 in general). At 68°, pressurize your kegs @ approx 4.4 psi. Purge your kegs 2-3 times to remove O2 from head space. Rock your kegs until you can't hear any gas going into them. Disconnect and store. I usually refrigerate to get gas to dissolve quickly into beer so I can drink it, but w/ a Scottish ale, let condition at cellar temp for a few weeks at least. Give it a try. Start conservatively. You can always add more CO2.

when you say pressurize kegs to 4.4psi do you mean:

Adjust the regulator to 4.4 and rock until you can hear the gas going into the keg. My regulator reads in incriments of 2............So do you mean adjust my regulator to 4.4psi and rock until I can hear the gas going inside?

Some of the stuff I have read says to adjust regulator to 30psi and rock hard for 3 to 5 minutes.....

If its to carbonated I guess you just take some of the pressure off the keg right?

The fitting that goes from your regulator to the kegg needs to be sanitized right?

Thanks for the help, my scottish is still in the carboy I have not kegged it yet.

Here's a good link. http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/ Different styles of beer have different levels of carbonation. The 30 psi rule works for the majority of your ales at room temp. When you set your pressure on your regulators you will hear gas hiss through your regs and into your keg. When you rock the kegs your agitating the beer allowing for more gas dissolved into the beer. After rocking about 10-15 minutes at 30 psi the hissing will stop because you've reached that pressure and the beer cant dissolve any more gas for now.
As for your Scottish ale, the settings I got from the tasty brew calculator was 4.4 psi. at 68°. That means set your reg to that pressure and rock til you don't hear the hiss anymore. In my opinion that sounds low, but I'm not a computer and haven't done much with Scottish ales. In my past run ins w/ this style however the first thing I noticed was the low carb levels.
Some mistakes I've made that I can pass on...
  • Once pressure is achieved disconnect from gas, Don't leave on at active pressure. You'll end up w/ seltzer.
  • You can either refrigerate or keep at cellar temp. Refrigerate carbonates beer faster, but some beers like to condition after carbonation for a while. I'd go cellar temp for Scottish ale for at least 1 month after carbonation.

Hope this helps.

Alex

Back