Floaties in Finished Product (Bottled)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lordsoth

Reaction score
I brewed this pale ale at the end of April:
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 13.33 %
0.50 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 6.67 %
1.00 oz Centennial [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 24.7 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [6.30 %] (15 min) Hops 4.5 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [6.30 %] (5 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [8.50 %] (5 min) Hops 2.5 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [6.30 %] (1 min) Hops 0.4 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [8.50 %] (1 min) Hops 0.5 IBU
1 tsp Irish Moss
1 Pkgs Nottingham Yeast-Ale

50 min Mash In Add 5.63 qt of water at 161.4 F 150.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 3.60 qt of water at 200.2 F 168.0 F

It went pretty well, I came in a bit short on the OG due to low mash efficiency but I'm content with a 4% ABV, sessionable pale ale. I crash cooled it 3 days prior to bottling and I am very happy with the clarity, although I do have some chill haze, but that's not a big deal to me. After bottle conditioning for 5 weeks now, the carbonation is finally getting to an appropriate level for drinking, but still not quite there. However I have noticed that I have some small, white floaties sitting on top of the beer in each bottle. When I shake the bottle, they fall into suspension. I chilled a bottle for 24 hours and poured it and the floaties are quite visible in the glass, although the flavor and aroma seem to be pretty nice. Any idea wtf these little floaties could be? I wouldn't think yeast colonies as I would assume the crash cooling dropped most of the yeast out of suspension (hence the extended carbonation period of 5 weeks). Here's a couple pics, I had a hard time getting a clear shot but it should give you an idea of what I'm talking about. Thanks for any help.

IMGA0190.jpg

IMGA0205.jpg

PS
Just to clarify, I'm not that concerned with the clarity of the beer, I'm more concerned with the presence of said floaties and whether they may be indicative of an infection or how to prevent them in future brews.

Most likely it IS from yeast clumping together. Many people see these in their secondary carboy and think it's an infection. That's what I would put my money on..... if it tastes fine I would not worry about infection.

Yikes! Thanks for the quick responses. I'm pretty sure the bottles were clean, I rinse them very well after drinking, then store them in a box till bottling day. On bottling day I soak them with starsan solution, dump (no rinse), siphon and cap. I hope it is just yeast then, would it be advisable to gently shake the bottles to re-suspend the clumps and hope they settle out?

What did you prime with?

I've used Munton's Carb tabs in the past, and had floaties similar to those. Many others have had the same issue with that particular brand.

Also, rather than shaking the bottles to get them re-suspended, I would let the bottles sit undisturbed in hopes that they get lodged in the yeast layer.

What did you prime with?

I've used Munton's Carb tabs in the past, and had floaties similar to those. Many others have had the same issue with that particular brand.

Also, rather than shaking the bottles to get them re-suspended, I would let the bottles sit undisturbed in hopes that they get lodged in the yeast layer.

I don't know about the carb tabs as I've never used them. I agree to just let it settle on it's own with no shaking.

I had that a long time ago and it turned out to be hop debris from dry hopping (since solved). I don't know it that's what you have or not.

I primed with cane sugar, so not sure if that may have a similar issue. I only used table sugar one other time and that was in a black dunkelweizen so I likely wouldn't have noticed any "floaties." Oh yeah, I did not dry hop. Thanks for the ideas.

Back