Fantasy football anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are the standings as of the end of tonight's Washington/Dallas game.

ff_week2.jpg

HurricaneFloyd said:
Wow, you can stop drinking the Kool-Aid any time now. It's over. The past 5 years don't mean crap. The past 5 years certainly didn't help them last Sunday!

You have a point on some of these guys but not all. Just based on potential and/or age I would take most of these young guys over your boy.
Mark Brunell -agree
Rex Gossman -disagree
Marc Bulger -disagree
Byron Leftwich -disagree
Steve McNair -disagree
Daunte Culpepper -disagree
Michael Vick -disagree
Alex Smith -agree
Chris Simms -disagree
Jon Kitna -agree
Jake Plummer -disagree
Chad Pennington -disagree
J.P. Losman -agree
Charlie Frye -agree
David Carr -disagree
Billy Volek -agree
Aaron Brooks -agree
Drew Bledsoe -disagree
Brad Johnson -disagree
Kurt Warner -disagree

I'd also take Cutler.

Everyone gets old and loses it, Father Time is undefeated. :(

I went back and got a real good laugh at this post. You are on crack.

2006 Favre: 510 yards, 3 TDs 3 INTs 1 Fumble lost
2006 Daunte Culpepper: 499 yards 1 TD 3 INTs 3 Fumbles lost
2006 Chris Simms: 446 yards 0 TDs 6 INTs 1 Fumble lost
2006 Jake Plummer: 311 yards, 0 TDs 4 INTs 1 Fumble lost

I could go on and on....most of the guys you say are better than Favre have better weapons and mysteriously aren't doing very much. :confused:

So your basing your arguement on 1 week of stats while I base mine on all of last season. Good job! :mug:

HurricaneFloyd said:
So your basing your arguement on 1 week of stats while I base mine on all of last season. Good job! :mug:

Okay then....

2005 Culpepper, 6 TDs, 12 INTs.

Your Favre hate/jealousy is clouding reality for you.

BTW, That is 2 weeks of stats. I wonder how many it will take for you to go back and change some of those agrees/disagrees. :rolleyes:

None because if you look back at a previous post, I said I would take them based on skill or potential. The younger QB's may not be as experienced as the senior citizen that you have at QB but I would much rather have a young QB with a young team than an older than dirt QB with a young team.

HurricaneFloyd said:
None because if you look back at a previous post, I said I would take them based on skill or potential. The younger QB's may not be as experienced as the senior citizen that you have at QB but I would much rather have a young QB with a young team than an older than dirt QB with a young team.

Wow. You are serious? I wish you were the Bears GM with that logic.

OMG...... Again, stop drinking the kool-aid. I'm glad all packer fans are as crazy as you are. This will only drag the rebuilding process out even longer and means more wins for the Bears.

I'm going to be 2-0 after this week (unless Fred Taylor's Groin goes for -65 yards, puts the ball on the ground eight times, and Pitt still gives up 85 points). But DAMN, I've got to get some production from the big boys. Hasselback has barely found the end zone, which is more than Larry Fitzgerald can say. And speaking of Brett Favre - how 'bout looking for Driver in the end zone, m'kay? 150 yards is nice, but I'd rather have 80 and a TD.

2-0, but I'll probably have the third-fewest points.... damn, is there still a homebrew prize for last place?

HurricaneFloyd said:
OMG...... Again, stop drinking the kool-aid. I'm glad all packer fans are as crazy as you are. This will only drag the rebuilding process out even longer and means more wins for the Bears.

I only need one example to shoot that theory to the crapper.

What about San Diego? Phillip Rivers never had one NFL start prior to this year, after sitting on the bench for 2 years. He stepped right into a team that spent the past 3 years rebuilding.

Oh yeah, the Kool-aid comment? Let's wait until the Bears play a team worth its salt. I have a feeling you band wagoneers will go right back into hibernation. Let's see how well they do against Seattle and NYG. :rolleyes:

Rebuilding? Didn't Drew Brees make it to a Pro Bowl? You know what? I'm done. It's like politics, there's no sense arguing because if you have 2 people with opposite beliefs, no matter how much you argue your side, the other side just won't admit they're wrong. :p

HurricaneFloyd said:
Rebuilding? Didn't Drew Brees make it to a Pro Bowl? You know what? I'm done. It's like politics, there's no sense arguing because if you have 2 people with opposite beliefs, no matter how much you argue your side, the other side just won't admit they're wrong. :p

Yeah, run away. :rolleyes: As soon as your faulty logic sputters, you give up.

Let's lay down some facts and prove that they've been rebuilding.

First, a look at where/who they picked in the first round from 2001-2004.

LaDainian Thomlinson (overall 1st pick in 2001)
Quentin Jammer (5th overall in 2002)
No 1st round pick in 2003 (traded pick)
Phillip Rivers (4th overall pick in 2004)

Record in:
2003: 4-12
2004: 12-4

You can't tell me a team that finished 4-12 one year and the next year finished 12-4 wasn't rebuilding. Look at all of those high draft picks the years prior. Think that had something to do with it?

The bottom line is you have blinders on about Favre because he killed you guys for 10 years. I can understand the hate--but for you to come out and say Daunte Culpepper and Chris Simms and all these other guys are better than Favre based on "skill and potential", well, it just shows you are in the dark, bud. Those are QBs from 2 teams that were picked to make the playoffs this year. Think Miami and Tampa would kill for a QB like Favre right now?

The only thing wrong with this argument is your hate for Favre.

now playing terribly in select cities..... :)

Did you ever see the Brett Favre Excuse-O-Matic? It used to be on www.extremeskins.com but now every link I find for it is dead.

HurricaneFloyd said:

We do have one- he's just not starting.

I couldn't watch tonights game but just checked the score. 9-0 Jacksonville? Man that is ugly...

desertBrew said:
I couldn't watch tonights game but just checked the score. 9-0 Jacksonville? Man that is ugly...

Yep... alllllll field goals, too.

I think the furthest the Steeler's made it down the field was the result of pass interference on the Jags. :)

GO BENGALS!

No points for Fred Taylor's Groin, but he ALMOST got 100 yards rushing. He's been OK for me so far, and now that it seems that Jacksonville's other RBs are getting hurt, I know he'll keep getting his 20 carries a game.

Anybody have Jacksonville's D? How many fantasy points was that showing worth?

Town Drunks has Jac and 16 pts for that showing. Defensive games like that are only fun when it's your team and you end up on top.

the-bird, AKA more_Bruschi....

Let's talk trade. I want Driver. I do not want to give up Parker though.

You need a TE, what about L.J. Smith and something else? It would have to be either Lundy or Norwood, or even one of my other receivers, minus Burress.

I'm willing to negotiate this through.

I'm feeling the intimidation factor having to play the NY Athletic Jews this weekend. Not a single move and there he sits on top of the heap. I made some bench moves to save my arse this last weekend. You got a lot of @'s in front of your guys whilst most of mine are at home. Is that the X factor? :D, Is Smith going to stop being a wimp and get out there and catch some TD's for me? Can friggen Warner throw the ball this week? Stay tuned...

Dude said:
the-bird, AKA more_Bruschi....

Let's talk trade. I want Driver. I do not want to give up Parker though.

You need a TE, what about L.J. Smith and something else? It would have to be either Lundy or Norwood, or even one of my other receivers, minus Burress.

I'm willing to negotiate this through.

I don't know, man. I think you've convinced me, Brett Favre's going back to the Pro Bowl this year, he's throwing for 4,000 yards and forty touchdowns - half to Driver. I'm thinking I'll just go along for the ride....

desertBrew said:
I'm feeling the intimidation factor having to play the NY Athletic Jews this weekend. Not a single move and there he sits on top of the heap. I made some bench moves to save my arse this last weekend. You got a lot of @'s in front of your guys whilst most of mine are at home. Is that the X factor? :D, Is Smith going to stop being a wimp and get out there and catch some TD's for me? Can friggen Warner throw the ball this week? Stay tuned...
Hey man-

No moves were necessary. It's just skill

Now, if you want to become my puppet and run around knee-capping my future matchups for me, I'll make sure you place no worse than third.

(totally kidding. Please don't hurt me).

Dude, LJ Smith is nowhere near enough for Driver. I'm also cautiously optimistic about the kid New Orleans drafted, I've read some really good things about him and I've got a lot of confidence in Drew Brees. I like your two primary RBs, but I'm getting more comfortable with Fred Taylor's Groin and Laurence Maroney (who will be getting the majority of the carries soon) as my starters. Taylor still looks pretty good, he got almost 100 yards versus a very good Pittsburg D.

Let's say I wanted Rudi for Driver. How would you counter that?

the_bird said:
Dude, LJ Smith is nowhere near enough for Driver. I'm also cautiously optimistic about the kid New Orleans drafted, I've read some really good things about him and I've got a lot of confidence in Drew Brees. I like your two primary RBs, but I'm getting more comfortable with Fred Taylor's Groin and Laurence Maroney (who will be getting the majority of the carries soon) as my starters. Taylor still looks pretty good, he got almost 100 yards versus a very good Pittsburg D.

Let's say I wanted Rudi for Driver. How would you counter that?

Donald Driver isn't even in the same area code as Rudi Johnson.

As far as LJ smith, I said "and something else".

Alright...I'll stick with what I got. I'm not thrilled with my WRs, but I'll manage.

Dude said:
Donald Driver isn't even in the same area code as Rudi Johnson.

As far as LJ smith, I said "and something else".

Alright...I'll stick with what I got. I'm not thrilled with my WRs, but I'll manage.

My issue is that I don't really want to take on MORE players. I don't think Cadillac Williams (who I am assuming is the unnamed "other" player) is likely to do much more this year than Maroney. Cadillac's got to carry the whole load for Tampa as long as Simms is the QB, whereas people playing the Pats have to respect Brady. The Pats are set up this year as a power team, they have a damn good, young offensive line, Daniel Graham is one of the best blocking tight ends in the league; we're going old-school this year, kickin' it '86-Giants style. Maroney will be getting the bulk of the carries by the middle part of the year (he's already getting 15 touches or so), I would be shocked if he doesn't end up with more than 1,000 yards even in the platoon (and expect more like 1,200).

Plus, I've got a bit of a crunch coming up in week 5, I need a kicker, a defense, and I think something else, and I'm not thrilled with having to cut my bench guys; I can't do a 2-1 deal.

Honestly, I think Driver-for-Willy Mo Parker, straight-up, is a fair deal for both of us. Willy Mo (every "Willy" is now "Willy Mo," BTW) got seriously outpllayed by Fred Taylor's Groin last week. FTG still looks pretty quick, he's strong, he's going to be getting a lot of touches; as long as he stays healthy (and he hasn't been injured too much over the past few years), I'm happy starting him. But, I'd be interested in Parker, I think he's likely to put up 1,200 yards and a decent amount of TDs - but I think the exact same is true of Driver. He'll start catching some TDs, and you know Favre's going to be letting it rip all season. We may disagree as to whether Favre should still be playing for GB (he'd look pretty good as a Raven, IMHO), but he's a damn good fantasy QB.

If you want to take a flyer on someone, take a look-see at Chad Jackson. He only caught two balls last week, but he looked real good all game. If he stays healthy - and that is, admittedly, a big *if* - he's going to be Brady's primary target before very long. He's fast, he has good hands, he can get behind the defense - he's going to be the next Dieon Branch. There's really no one else playing wideout for the Pats - Caldwell and Gabriel aren't all that good, Troy Brown I love to death but is almost as old as Morton Anderson.

Alright, folks.

Got two good fantasy QBs, I may be in need of a starting-caliber WR. Who'll give me what for either Chad Pennington or Matt Hasselback? Put your offers on the table....

Back