Polish ale yeast...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tireater

Reaction score
Put an IPA in secondary..boiled some water and washed the yeast after it cooled...
It turns out the pot was used to cook Polish sausage and there is a film on the top of the water...
I used it any way ...as I have 2 more yeast cakes to harvest if it don't work out..Was this a big boo boo...?

Since you boiled the water there probably is not a infection risk. That being said there is a change that the flavor from the sausage might carry over to the beer. This is unlikely though since it's a small amount of yeast. In the future it helps to clean everything thoroughly. It's also good to have a set of equipment dedicated to brewing since cleanliness and sanitation is much more important to brewing than it is to cooking.

Thanks...I had my g/f read your answer...She agrees...It's my fault...I picked the wrong pot...
I have a 7 1/2 gal alum, 6, 4, 3 gal ss...Just for beer brewing....She may have a point...
At least our washing technique seems to work...
I laid the carboy on its side and used a 2000ml flask to pour into...then 4 pints...

Back