Sassafras/sarsaparilla root beer recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah. By looking at it I would guess it could be branch. But the description says root. And the bark smells like root beer. I chopped it up a little smaller and brewed with it last night. Tasted good. We'll see in a few days. Maybe since its summer they sent branch instead of root. Or maybe it's root. I froze it cause it was so moist it was making condensation in the bag so I'm afraid of mold. I'll update when I drink it.

I've personally dug sassafras that looked like that. That could easily be root.
I had a friend that had some sassafras trees on his property and I asked if I could dig some roots, he showed me little tree with a trunk about the size of my arm and brought a shovel and a pick axe. We started digging and I got a handful of roots and said that would suffice, then he tore into the thing and we ended up pulling the whole tree out and I went home with a bucket full of roots. Sassafras is invasive, so he didn't mind pulling the whole thing out, gave him more room for his driveway.

But yeah, some of the roots we dug that day were easily that thick, some were thicker. You can use only the bark, it seems to have the most flavor, but using the whole root is fine, too. I washed mine and froze it, seemed just fine. The larger pieces I let dry, some did grow some mold, so I tossed those. The frozen ones functioned a little bit better than the dry ones, but the differences were subtle.

That's crazy that they get that thick. I had no idea. I would love to grow a sassafras tree here in MN.

Yeah, it's a tree so they get like that. From what I understand, it spreads from the roots, so it will send up shoots along them. So if your neighbor has a sassafras tree, chances are you'll have one at some point, too.

There were some sassafras trees growing along the edge of the forest behind my house. I marked them a few summers ago with colorful ribbon to identify them in the winter, then dug them up once mid-winter came. I took a knife to the bark and peeled it like a carrot from the wood, then left them in the oven for a few hours at around 230*F. Now I have a big jar full of the stuff that smells even stronger than the sassafras root I bought from mountain rose herbs.

On a completely different note:

Crazy8, in your recipe, you call for 1/2 cup of vanilla flavoring per gallon. Is this the imitation vanilla that's cheaper than the extract, or is this the real non-alcoholic vanilla?

Also, if you only had vanilla extract to use, how much of it would you use in place of your flavoring? Like, what do you think is the ratio to achieve about the same amount of taste in the root beer?

EDIT: One more question, do you ever reuse the ingredients for a second brew, or do you just throw everything out after it's been used for a batch of root beer?

So I tried mine with the giant roots. It's not root beer. Still good but just tastes like some custom soda. I think with my giant roots I need to either lengthen the boil or just double my amount. I don't think I got all the flavor out of them. You can tell it wants to be root beer but isn't. Been real busy but will try again soon.

On a completely different note:

Crazy8, in your recipe, you call for 1/2 cup of vanilla flavoring per gallon. Is this the imitation vanilla that's cheaper than the extract, or is this the real non-alcoholic vanilla?

Also, if you only had vanilla extract to use, how much of it would you use in place of your flavoring? Like, what do you think is the ratio to achieve about the same amount of taste in the root beer?

EDIT: One more question, do you ever reuse the ingredients for a second brew, or do you just throw everything out after it's been used for a batch of root beer?

Does anyone know anything about either the vanilla or reusing the ingredients? I want to make a batch soon, but want to have all the facts right first.

My personal rule of thumb that I use is about 1 oz of vanilla extract per gallon. I tend to use less if it's pure vanilla extract instead of an imitation vanilla extract, but really it's to taste. I made my own extract last year and have been using it at about that level.

As for reusing ingredients, I don't usually. I have strained out the roots/herbs, and done another steep or boil with them, but it's usually for the same batch since I don't have a 5 gallon pot to use. I would worry about mold growth if you were saving them from one batch to another. Not to mention that I expect batch two would be less flavorful than batch one.

Never have and never would reuse the ingredients as they are boiled and wouldn't add the adequate flavoring. All vanilla extract has ETOH, mostly bourbon. Of course maybe some cheaper imitation stuff has rubbing alcohol......I add to taste the authentic stuff. I've used McCormick's in my batches and used 1/2 cup for the whole 5 gallon batch if memory serves. I must review my notes. Imitation vanilla, the non-alcoholic stuff, is a strange substance to me and I'd never use it. So for a quick post take it with a grain of salt since you asked with a bump I wanted to help out.

Thanks guys. All I have ever used is also the extract, but it's the most expensive ingredient and I can see it being a big money eater if I ever make root beer in the amounts I want. Maybe I'll try making my own too, if that is more cost effective.

You can get the large bottle of McCormick's for a decent price from Amazon or some other online source, maybe around $10-$15?, and it goes a long way for rootbeer batches

Just did a 1.5 gallon batch partially my recipe mixed with Crazy 8's. I used Billington's dark molasses sugar and Mccormick's vanilla extract. Smelled great and was a very dark brown just like I was aiming for. We'll soon find out what we come up with.

Masterjuggler, I have been having a similar problem. There is something in the recipe that does not taste like the commercialized root beer I was hoping for. Sarsaparilla and Sassafras both smell so good, and even my house smells wonderful after, but my brew has a type of funk that just turns me off to it. I have tried adding a little wintergreen flavoring to the batch which has helped some, but there is still something in the background. I've whittled down the ingredients to sarsaparilla, sassafras, honey, vanilla, sugar, and a touch of molasses for color (by batch without it still had the same odd flavor). I was hoping to make my own recipe without extract that rivaled the flavor of commercial root beers (A&W, Sprecher, Weinhardts, etc). Anyone's input would be appreciated!

Masterjuggler, I have been having a similar problem. There is something in the recipe that does not taste like the commercialized root beer I was hoping for. Sarsaparilla and Sassafras both smell so good, and even my house smells wonderful after, but my brew has a type of funk that just turns me off to it. I have tried adding a little wintergreen flavoring to the batch which has helped some, but there is still something in the background. I've whittled down the ingredients to sarsaparilla, sassafras, honey, vanilla, sugar, and a touch of molasses for color (by batch without it still had the same odd flavor). I was hoping to make my own recipe without extract that rivaled the flavor of commercial root beers (A&W, Sprecher, Weinhardts, etc). Anyone's input would be appreciated!

Well most (if not all) of those use extracts. The same company that makes the extracts for Sprecher has one that tastes much like A&W.

I've also seen the Sprecher syrup for sale:
http://www.sprecherbrewery.com/store/details.php?prodId=202&category=

So both roots were dried? So I need 3x the sassafras root since mine is fresh. Thanks!

I made a composite root beer recipe from 10 recipes I found online (including Crazy8s) for 4 gallons.

Yeast Food
1 1/4 c molasses
8 1/3 c sugar
3/4 c honey
1/4 c chopped raisins
1 vanilla bean scraped/split

Aromatics
2 1/3 c fresh sassafras root
2/3 c dried sarsparilla
1/4 c dried burdock root
1/10 c dried licorice
1 3/4 star anise pods
1 allspice berry (lightly crushed in mortar)
4 coriander seeds (lightly crushed in mortar)
1/4 tsp nutmeg (lightly crushed in mortar)
1/2 whole clove (lightly crushed in mortar)

Uncooked
1 3/4 drops peppermint/wintergreen extract
2 1/3 tbs vanilla extract
1 1/2 cinnamon stick
10 grams yeast
1/10 c lime juice

Split the water in half, boil 2 gallons with the yeast food 15 minutes.
Simmer (or hold at 170 for an hour) the aromatics.
Combine all with uncooked once it has cooled to at most 75F.
Ferment 3 days then serve.

This is what I'll be trying. I feel like separating the sugars from the aromatics is a good idea because you get less extraction of flavor when it's competing with the highly soluble sugar in the solution. The same reason you don't add milk and sugar to tea before it's finished steeping.

Thoughts?

Looks interesting. Id love to hear back to see how it turns out. I did try burdock in mine once and was not a fan. Though it may have been to much, so that's a possibility. Why lime juice?

Two recipes online used it. Depending on how this goes, I can forsee dropping licorice or anise (similar flavors), adding mauby, ginseng, and using the ginger fermentation yeast method instead of champagne yeast.

I've heard burdock is for nutrition.

Ended up not having raisins, molasses, or white sugar. Subbed jaggery for 100% of sugar/mol requirements, subbed dates for raisins. Bubbling away!

Curious about using wintergreen. Hunted and found some, but I see that Crazy 8 doesn't use any in his main recipe. I loved his recipe by itself, so wondering. Oh, and the addition of Maltodextrine... what can you tell me about that? :)

Curious about using wintergreen. Hunted and found some, but I see that Crazy 8 doesn't use any in his main recipe. I loved his recipe by itself, so wondering. Oh, and the addition of Maltodextrine... what can you tell me about that? :)

I actually do use wintergreen leaves now. Sorry I haven't updated that. The wintergreen leaves are great for head retention. Some people will use it for flavor too.

Maltodextrine is for mouth feel. I like it for that reason. To try and explain it, it's kind of like if you imagine the difference in mouth feel of drinking water, and then chocolate milk. That's the best way I can think of how to explain it. It makes it so it doesn't feel thin like water does.

Thank you! I used your latest recipe, and included some spearmint. The wintergreen I have seems to be old. One person suggested I break it up and see if that works. I need to brew tea with it just to check.

But I have to say, tried a little bit of it before I put bottled it, and boy was it tasty.

Thanks for the clarification on maltodextrin. Helpful!

Another question. Some recipes have you activating the yeast in warm water before adding it the recipe. I see that you put a little in each bottle. Wondering the benefits of one over the other?

I love seeing how you are tweaking the recipe!

John

Finished a small batch, using Crazy 8's recipe, with added Spearmint.

So good!!

IMG_7359.jpg

Since root beer originated from health tonic, probably local wildflower to help with allergies.

I think it's more likely that honey would have been used over cane sugar for availability rather than for health benefits. I know that root beer recipes circa 1820s in upstate New York were likely to include Maple sugar, not because of flavor but because there are so many trees up there.

I'm all for local though, you can probably get it fresher that way.

Sprecher uses honey in their root beer, but not sure what kind. I would try and get ahold of a dark amber honey if you can, it would probably impart more flavor than a lighter honey. As for the source, I personally think that if you heat honey, (which I would think would be best if you don't want any would yeasts making trouble for you) it kind of loses the subtleties of flavor you would get from a single source honey like orange blossom it something like that.

Doing a version of this soon for my first root beer. One question. Are the raisins for flavor or just yeast nutrients? I'll be force carbing so if it's just for the nutrients I'll probably leave them out

Doing a version of this soon for my first root beer. One question. Are the raisins for flavor or just yeast nutrients? I'll be force carbing so if it's just for the nutrients I'll probably leave them out

Both.
Raisins have vitamins and trace minerals plus some extra sugars for the yeast to munch on. Add enough and you might get some raisin flavorings.

Also I noticed it comes out pretty light in color. Has anyone ever tried steeping a few oz of a dark malt, say pale chocolate malt?

How much wintergreen in two gallons?
Holy crap its been a long time since I was here last. Not sure if you're still wondering about this after 8 months, but for 2 gallons, without doing real math, id estimate maybe a tablespoon? Roughly.

On a completely off topic question, is it me or did the adds in this forum get much worse in here? I was greatly disappointed by the bombardment of adds when i signed back on. I don't remember it being that way when I used to be in here all of the time. :(

Modified this and other recipes. After three variations I won best of show for the soda category at our state fair.

Here's the recipe

4 gal spring water

Chill 1 gal

Heat 3 gal to 150. Steep 7 oz chocolate malt for 10-15 min then remove

After steep while bringing to boil:
2 oz. Sarsaparilla
2 oz. Sassafras

Boil 30 min:

1/2 tsp. Nutmeg
1 cinnamon stick
4 star anise
2 Vanilla bean - split

Boil last 5 min:
1 T Wintergreen

Strain

After boil/strain. Before cooling

6 cups cane sugar
1.5 cups Honey
1/2 cup maltodextrin
1/2 cup Vanilla Extract

Combine with chilled gal

DUUUUUDE, That is awesome to hear. Congratulations on that. Once again I am back from another lengthy hiatus and noticed this. It's been a long time since I have made a batch, but I am going to try to make one this weekend. I really like your recipe and the specific outlined procedure. That gives me a few ideas. How many different batches have you made before coming to your "winner"? :)

In regards to your process...
Was the chilled water just for the cooling down at the end, or was their a bigger reason for that? I used to do something similar, but just with cool water, and it was just to coll down the hot stuff at the end.

With the "After steep while bringing to boil" and the "Boil 30 min" parts. I just want to make sure I understand that part. I am assuming the process is:

After steep, while bringing to a boil, add these ingredients:
2 oz. Sarsaparilla
2 oz. Sassafras

When it starts to boil, add the below ingredients and let boil for 30 minutes:
1/2 tsp. Nutmeg
1 cinnamon stick
4 star anise
2 Vanilla bean - split

In such a large batch, do you think adding only 2 split vanilla beans did much for flavoring? I always had issues with using the beans as it never seemed to add enough of the flavor i was looking for, which is why I went with extract/flavoring.

DUUUUUDE, That is awesome to hear. Congratulations on that. Once again I am back from another lengthy hiatus and noticed this. It's been a long time since I have made a batch, but I am going to try to make one this weekend. I really like your recipe and the specific outlined procedure. That gives me a few ideas. How many different batches have you made before coming to your "winner"? :)

In regards to your process...
Was the chilled water just for the cooling down at the end, or was their a bigger reason for that? I used to do something similar, but just with cool water, and it was just to coll down the hot stuff at the end.

With the "After steep while bringing to boil" and the "Boil 30 min" parts. I just want to make sure I understand that part. I am assuming the process is:

After steep, while bringing to a boil, add these ingredients:
2 oz. Sarsaparilla
2 oz. Sassafras

When it starts to boil, add the below ingredients and let boil for 30 minutes:
1/2 tsp. Nutmeg
1 cinnamon stick
4 star anise
2 Vanilla bean - split

In such a large batch, do you think adding only 2 split vanilla beans did much for flavoring? I always had issues with using the beans as it never seemed to add enough of the flavor i was looking for, which is why I went with extract/flavoring.

Yes the cold water is mostly pragmatic. I don't want to risk my beer kettle tasting like root beer, so I'm using a smaller pot. The full volume of water doesn't fit, and neither does my chiller coil.

Yes to the timing of the boil

Not sure how much the beens add, but I also add the extract.

The winning batch was version #3. I think I'm on batch 4 or 5 now

Keep us posted if you try a version and anything you change

Last edited:
Modified this and other recipes. After three variations I won best of show for the soda category at our state fair.

Here's the recipe

4 gal spring water

Chill 1 gal

Heat 3 gal to 150. Steep 7 oz chocolate malt for 10-15 min then remove

After steep while bringing to boil:
2 oz. Sarsaparilla
2 oz. Sassafras

Boil 30 min:

1/2 tsp. Nutmeg
1 cinnamon stick
4 star anise
2 Vanilla bean - split

Boil last 5 min:
1 T Wintergreen

Strain

After boil/strain. Before cooling

6 cups cane sugar
1.5 cups Honey
1/2 cup maltodextrin
1/2 cup Vanilla Extract

Combine with chilled gal

Hmmm...Do you force carbonate your Root Beer or did you use yeast? First two batches of mine using a different recipe I used Champagne Yeast but I think it gave my Root Beer a terrible taste. I also tried using raw honey since it's locally made where I live and it was way too overpowering. Two other questions:

1. What was your storage period?
2. What kind of Chocolate Malt? Mix?

Last edited:
Hmmm...Do you force carbonate your Root Beer or did you use yeast? First two batches of mine using a different recipe I used Champagne Yeast but I think it gave my Root Beer a terrible taste. I also tried using raw honey since it's locally made where I live and it was way too overpowering. Two other questions:

1. What was your storage period?
2. What kind of Chocolate Malt? Mix?

Yes I force carb in a keg at 30 psi for about 4-5 days, and then let it sit at 15-20 for a week or so. Then I bottle the whole batch from the keg. I was getting too much foam due to the high carb volume, but from the bottle it's perfect.

Not sure on the self life, mainly because it's gets drank fast.

I've used regular chocolate malt and pale chocolate. Didn't notice much difference. Both work fine

Back