need feedback on imperial ipa recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgenius

Reaction score
Brewing my first double ipa, wrote this recipe. Does this sound good for dipa? your feedback would help, thanks.

(2.5 Gallon half-batch)
(3 Gallon boil)

5 lbs Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 83.33 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 16.67 %
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (60 min) Hops 51.6 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (30 min) Hops 16.9 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (15 min) Hops 10.9 IBU
1 Pkgs California Ale V (White Labs #WLP051) Yeast-Ale

shooting for 80 IBU - 8.5ish% ABV

:mug: Cheers!

no dry hop? no flameout addition? I like the recipe but I would be severely tempted to DH with some more Centennial.

I would do an ounce. You're going to lose some beer doing a dry hop, but it'll be so much better that way. Is there any reason you're not going to add any at 5 or 0 minutes?

I am not a big fan of a 30 minute addition. You are sort of right between bittering and flavor, but not entirely benefiting from either. There are bigger complexities at play, of course, and any difference in hop additions will change the outcome of your beer. Stick with what you have and see how it goes. Then the next time, you can do it differently and see what the difference is.

I am not a big fan of a 30 minute addition. You are sort of right between bittering and flavor, but not entirely benefiting from either. There are bigger complexities at play, of course, and any difference in hop additions will change the outcome of your beer. Stick with what you have and see how it goes. Then the next time, you can do it differently and see what the difference is.

Thanks. How much would you use for the 5 min addition?

I'd cut the Crystal in half and replace it with base malt or even table sugar to help dry the beer out so that it doesn't end up too sweet.

Latest posts

Back