Any Veterans on this Forum?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't count myself as a veteran. Others have done more than I. Iowa Army National Guard. 1987-2011. Deployed to Germany 1996. Started as MP. Ended as JAG.

I got to know many who heard shots fired in anger. I got to know some with scars--seen and unseen. I got to know some who gave their all. My service was insignificant compared to those. I am humbled by and thank those who were true patriots. (Very proud of my son who is a medic in the IARNG).

I also remember my fathers cousin--Sherman Greene-- who died on December 7, 1941 at Hicklin Field.

However unlikely that you would be called upon to put your life on the line, you still agreed to die for the safety of the American people if necessary. That makes you just as heroic as any other person in uniform in my book.

Holy Cow Yoop! Lead with the other leg for once. The worst injury I got while jumping was a cracked tailbone in Jump School on my third jump. It hurt like hell, but I didn't want to recycle, so I did the last two jumps, thinking I could then let it heal. It was not to be so easy. First week at Bragg they had us jump twice out of Hueys. Four jumps with a cracked tailbone.

Besides that, all I really had was heat stroke on the DMZ in Korea, frostbite in Alaska and second degree sunburns from the waste up in Death Valley.
Heat stroke in Korea? My younger son has been there for a couple of years, and that seems to be the least of his worries. He told me about an incident where he was wading through 3 feet of snow, took a shortcut, and wound up at the bottom of 14 feet...:D

Back to the subject: I'm an officially disabled combat veteran, with a zero percent disability rating (long story; I never finished the paperwork). And don't get me wrong; I appreciate people who appreciate my military service. But I've done a lot of things since.

If I ever called a talk show, identified myself as a veteran and heard the inevitable and obligatory, "thank you for your service to the country," I'd be tempted to tell the host, "stuff it, dude. That was forty years ago. You might as well congratulate me for the wrestling tournaments I won in high school.

"Instead, maybe you should try talking to me about the two sons and 17 foster children my wife and I raised, or the houses, garages and decks I designed and built, or the ridiculous hours I've put in for 16 years making sure that when homeowners in Southern California turn their stove burners on, they get a flame."

Or maybe instead he should tell me to shut up, crack another homebrew, mellow out and stop being such a misanthrope.... thanks to everyone for your appreciation of veterans, even if I don't seem to properly appreciate the appreciation.:)

USMC here. '03-'07. Intelligence. Spent all 4 years behind a desk.

Jesus finally another Devil Duck haha.

06-10 USMC Armorer Afghanistan '08 2/7 and 3d AAVs

Gotta have all types to make the machine run. Spent my garrison time in a glorified prison waking up way earlier then the rest of the unit.

USMC 1998 - 2003
3521 Motor T mechanic, Camp Lejeune

United States Army 2003 - present
91B wheeled vehicle mechanic, FT stewert, Ft Carson, USAG Baumholder Germany, trashganastan twice, Iraq twice

US Army 2003 to present. Currently a Drill Sergeant at Fort Leonard Wood which leaves my time for brewing to a minimal but I still get to it once in a while

US Naval Aviator

Active Duty '87-'95

VP-22 Blue Geese, NAS Barbers Point, HI
VT-31 Wise Owls, NAS Corpus Christi, TX

US Naval Reserve '95-'01

VP-66 Liberty Bells, NAS Willow Grove, PA

Holy Cow Yoop! Lead with the other leg for once. The worst injury I got while jumping was a cracked tailbone in Jump School on my third jump. It hurt like hell, but I didn't want to recycle, so I did the last two jumps, thinking I could then let it heal. It was not to be so easy. First week at Bragg they had us jump twice out of Hueys. Four jumps with a cracked tailbone.

Besides that, all I really had was heat stroke on the DMZ in Korea, frostbite in Alaska and second degree sunburns from the waste up in Death Valley.

That's all?!?! :D

Or don't jump out of a vehicle in the air! :rockin: Of course I was on one of the largest targets floating in the ocean...

Yeah, it took me a long time to learn that one. :D

To this day, I HATE heights and haven't been in a helicopter since 1983. No jumping, and I don't even like to fly any more.

I'm counting 31 so far! Awesome guys (and gals). Had to note that it took a while for the Marines to show up!

Kidding --- :))) Gotta love admire the leathernecks!

OK, another Marine '84 to '93.

Russian Linguist. Monterey, Guam, DC, Lejeune with short vacations to Korea, Okinawa, Germany, Norway, and more time than I'd like to think of in the former Soviet Union.

Good job everyone.

Jesus finally another Devil Duck haha.

06-10 USMC Armorer Afghanistan '08 2/7 and 3d AAVs

Gotta have all types to make the machine run. Spent my garrison time in a glorified prison waking up way earlier then the rest of the unit.

I had to go back and look to see that I was the first Marine to post. :D

And yes, it does take all different kinds of duties to make the big thing go. I am lucky that my service time kept me out of harms way no matter how many times I tried to volunteer otherwise.

I'm counting 31 so far! Awesome guys (and gals). Had to note that it took a while for the Marines to show up!

Kidding --- :))) Gotta love admire the leathernecks!

We were too busy drinking to respond right away. :tank:

USN Retired
1987-2007

First 10 yrs a AD (Jet engine mech) various VA,VFA squadrons Cecil Field, Fl. VP squadron Mountain View Ca

Last 10 yrs MA (Police) Force protection. New Orleans, Gitmo, Baghdad

USN Retired. 1983-2009. Aircraft Electricians Mate. To many duty stations and deployments to name.

My son has been in the Marines since 2010, Technical Controller.

My thanks to all who serve/served.

USN Ballistic Missile Submarines, retired in '95.

Thank all of you Brothers and Sisters for your dedication to service and especially thank your families for their support of you!

Army 18B weapons sergeant. 5th group attached to 101st airborne. Started in 98 as field artillery(13B) and decided to go SF in 2000. Lasted until 05 before injuries just caught up with me.

Can't talk about most of it so anymore it feels like it was just some crazy dream.

US Army 64C (Motor Transport operator) 1st Infantry Division Fwd Goppingen, Germany, A CO 299th Spt Bn. 84-85. 1st ID HHC 34th Engineers S-1 awards clerk Fort Riley Kansas 85-86.

We seem to have a disproportionately high number of sub guys on the site.

My hat's off to you, I think you'd have had to sedate me to get me on one of those things. Had a fellow Marine who spent some time on them, he even earned his dolphins, the few stories he was able to share were quite the eye opener.

US Army sep 2001- dec 2006 originally a 4 year enlistment but got stop loss

Radio operator but was overstrwngth in my unit for my mos so I did missile defense, command and control with the air force guys, and briefings for the 2 star general.

Army. Got out in the early 90's. Fixed crap. Fort Irwin. MCRD. Point Loma. China Lake.

China Lake? I thought only us squids were out there, didn't know there was Army. What did you do? Then again, given the location maybe you can't say.
:mug:

We seem to have a disproportionately high number of sub guys on the site.

My hat's off to you, I think you'd have had to sedate me to get me on one of those things. Had a fellow Marine who spent some time on them, he even earned his dolphins, the few stories he was able to share were quite the eye opener.

It is a certain mentality and possibly even a predeliction to be a little more different than others. I signed up for Submarines at 17 and had to have my Dad sign. I knew that's what I wanted to do and not much chance of talking me out of it. Like i said in another thread: It's the best damn job I've ever had and I wish I hadn't had to retire.

It is a certain mentality and possibly even a predeliction to be a little more different than others. I signed up for Submarines at 17 and had to have my Dad sign. I knew that's what I wanted to do and not much chance of talking me out of it. Like i said in another thread: It's the best damn job I've ever had and I wish I hadn't had to retire.

I'm sort of in the middle with my stance on subs. I definitely enjoyed my time on the boat. Met a lot of awesome people, had some awesome experiences on deployment, but I didn't enjoy it enough to go back for a second tour.

I was an Airdale but know of a few Submariners. They were all Master Chiefs, and the CMC of my squadron at the time. Never really thought about it before but out of the 8 squadrons I was in I want to say 5 of the CMCs were Submariners.

Wish I could remember their names right now, if you retired in 95 they were probably PO2 or PO1s at the time but it isn't a gigantic community. Wouldn't doubt you know of some of them. Dang my memory, I can see their faces but can't remember their names.

USMC 93-97, 0341 Mortarman(81's), Weapons Company 1st Battalion 4th Marines. Did a couple of West Pacs, one in 94 and one in 96. Four of the best years of my life.:mug:

China Lake? I thought only us squids were out there, didn't know there was Army. What did you do? Then again, given the location maybe you can't say.

Alot of the navy bases had a small attached army E.O.D. Units on them back then. Not sure if they still do. I would got tdy and fix thier crap. Then when I was back at my base Irwin I was on a D.A.R.T. Team so if a plane or helicopter crashed (usually just a helicopter setting down because a dummy hydralic light came on ;dont get excited.well most the time) we would go way the hell out in the desert With 2 super hetts and a hemet wrecker. one super hett with a crane chained down on the bed. I would follow the supper hetts in the wrecker incase they broke (always did:( ) then I would jump in the crane 62f and lift the junk onto the empty trailer. Take to whatever base it came from. Or sometimes to a railhead. I also had a job delivering supllies way out in the desert to some hardcore guys for a while. For that I just used a humv and usually towed something and would get back in less then 24 hours. There is alot more, but I hate typing. Do all the people on here have that thing where they just talk into the computer and it types for them?

Back