March Madness Brewing Marathon!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GCGBrewing

Reaction score
I decided to take off Thursday and Friday, so I could watch all the basketball, instead of just sneaking at work! That wasn't enough though! I wanted to brew some brew while I watched, too! So, I came up with 4 total brews, 2 each day. I'm brewing a Porter, IPA, Blonde, and an American Pale Ale. Not necessarily in that order!

Here are my recipes:

Porter (Going for somewhat of a clone to Black Butte):
6lbs Light DME
1lb Cara-Pils
.5lbs Crystal 120L
6oz White Wheat Malt
5 oz Dark Chocolate 420L
5 oz Chocolate Malt 350L
.8oz Cascade 60min
.4oz Bravo 30min
.5oz Tettnang 5min

IPA
12oz of Crystal 10L & 40L
7.25lbs Light DME
1.6oz Columbus 60min
.5 each Cascade/Centennial 20min
.5 each Cascade/Centennial 10min
.5 Cascade 5min
1 Cascade 1min
1oz Centennial Dry Hop

Blonde
1lbs CaraPils
1lbs Crystal 10L
5lbs Extra Light DME
.4oz Centennial 45
.3oz Centennial 20
.3oz Cascade 10
.3oz Cascade 5

Pale Ale
8oz each Crystal 40L/60L
6lbs Light DME
.8oz Columbus
.5 Cascade 30
.5 Cascade 15
.5 Cascade 5

Oh yeah, and in between all that, I'm doing a fantasy baseball draft as well! Should be a great 4 day weekend! Critique on the recipes certainly welcome! Will likely be using S-05 dry yeast on all of them.

For ipa, maybe sub 1-1.5 #s of cane sugar for dme? Should make it a little more crisp, maybe make hops stand out a little more, if you want that effect, otherwise they look great

Would the cane sugar dilute the body of the beer? I used Beersmith to develop all the recipes, and put the IBU's pretty much at the top end of the style, without going over (for the IPA, I mean). I'd eventually like to do these all-grain once the recipes are perfected and enter them in some of the competitions. Otherwise I would go hop-crazy and not worry about sticking to style guidelines.

It would probably lighten the beer a little, but that's my personal preference, im a fan of lighter, hoppy ipas. Your original recipe looks great tho. Id only add the sugar if you wanted to lighten a little and not sacrifice abv

Back