Can't get white rubber airlock stopper to stay in carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarrodaden

Reaction score
Havent even started fermenting and the rubber stopper keeps popping back out.

Anyone have a tip or trick?

Make sure the stopper and lip of the carboy are dry. A clean paper towel may be your friend (or duct tape)

Do you have the hollow ones or the solid rubber with hole drilled for air lock? I've had really good luck with the hollow ones........not so much with the solid ones. I think they work best when glass and rubber are dry. They get a little bit of a bite that way. Can still be a pain.

These are what I use and like http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000E62PXA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure the stopper and lip of the carboy are dry. A clean paper towel may be your friend (or duct tape)

This is what I do, although I still spray the paper towel with star-san. Even though it's wet it still manages to dry things up enough to do the job...

Just dry it off and it will stick.

DO NOT push too hard or you can push it right into the carboy....... Ask me how I know this.

But I do have a good trick to get it out of the carboy. The onlyproblem is you have to leave it in until fermentation is over.

Stauffbier said:
This is what I do, although I still spray the paper towel with star-san. Even though it's wet it still manages to dry things up enough to do the job...

Mine don't stay very well either (I just started using blowoff tubes for the duration of the primary). I was always afraid to dry the bung because I know Star San doesn't work after it dries. However, if a Star San sprayed paper towel dries it enough, then I'll give it a try. Thanks for the tip!

Drying does usually get it. If you are stressed out (like I was recently) use plastic wrap to keep it down. It should cling pretty well to the dry container and keep the whole thing down. After a day you can take it off. I use it every time now in case krausen touches the bung (and slides it out).

I had the same problem earlier today. I used Star San, so I first wiped the inside of the carboy neck and the stopper with an eyeglass wipe then dried it with a paper towel. It worked perfectly.

Get a 1/2 inch bigger size. If it's too small it will slip back out. With a slightly larger one you don't have to push it in as far so there's not as much pressure to push it back out.

Another technique is to not use a stopper. My LHBS sells these orange rubber "caps" that slip over the outer lip, instead of relying on friction to hold them to the inner surface. They work well for me.

A quick wipe with a dry paper towel will do the trick. Just pat the moisture off the outside of the stopper and do a quick wipe of the inside of the carboy neck, no more than a quarter inch in. Not enough nasties on the clean paper towel to hurt anything.

Back