Thoughts on Harpoon IPA Clone recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edcculus

Reaction score
For my next brew I want to try a Harpoon IPA clone.

The only AG recipe I could find was off of Badger Beer and Wine Supply:

OG = 1.060
FG = 1.013
IBU’s = 40-45

10 lb 2-row pale malt
1 Lb Munich malt
1 Lb Victory malt

8 AAU’s Centennial Hops (Boil 60 min)
(3/4 ounce at 8% Alpha acid)
4 AAU’s Kent Golding Hops (boil 30 min)
(1 ounce at 4% Alpha acid)
1 Oz. Liberty hop pellets (for dry hopping)

1 teaspoon Irish moss (boil 60 min)
¾ (three-quarters) cup corn sugar for bottling
White Labs WLP006 Bedford British ale, WLP023 Burton Ale, Wyeast 1272 American Ale II yeast, Coopers Single Strain yeast.

Instructions:
Mash grains together for 60 minutes at 150 -152°. Collect enough wort to boil for 90 minutes and have 5.5 gallons yield.

Steep grains in about 3 gallons of water at 150° to 155° for 30 minutes. Add 3/4 ounce Centennial hops and 1 teaspoon irish moss and boil for 60 minutes. Add 1 ounce Kent Golding hops for the last 30 minutes of the boil. When done boiling, strain out hops and add the wort to cool water to fill to the 5 ½ gallon mark. Add your yeast when the wort is 75° to 80° and aerate well. Let the beer slowly cool to about 68°, and ferment until complete. (normally 7 to 10 days). After fermentation is complete, transfer beer to secondary, and add 1 ounce of Liberty hop pellets to the beer (this is called dry hopping). Let these hops sit in the beer for about a week to enhance the hop aroma, then separate the hops from the beer, and bottle as usual.

I'm not an expert on what to expect from certain types of grain/hops, so I wanted some thoughts. I'm worried that the hops used won't create the right flavor or aroma for an IPA. Other clone recipes I found (all extract or partial) used Cascade and Fuggles. I might substitute some cascade hops since the website specifically says:
The pronounced hop aroma and the deep copper color make an immediate sensory impression. Northwest Cascade hops are used generously in Harpoon IPA. The aroma is floral, distinctly different from the herbal, spicy, or “cut grass” aromas of other hop varieties.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

That's essentially the same recipe that's in the BYO 150 clones edition...weird that they didn't put any Cascade in it, since the web site says they use Cascade.

Liberty seems weird in this beer; I might just swap in Cascade for the dry hops...

Bike N Brew said:
Liberty seems weird in this beer; I might just swap in Cascade for the dry hops...
Thanks for the suggestion. I was trying to contemplate which hops to replace with Cascade.

Alright another problem. When I run this recipe through Beersmith, the estimated IBU is only 30 IBU's. I need to be around 42. I'm assuming the dry hops aren't taken into account. Will dry hopping 1 oz of Cascade be enough raise it to the right level?

Thats what I decided to use for the dry hop too. This recipe called for something else, but the site specifically says they use cascade.

I might just be being paranoid, but I've never had this happen before.

We brewed yesterday. Everything went well. OG turend out a little lower than I wanted, but not a big deal. I think it was 1.058. Anyways, we cooled in a ice water bath until it was around 75-80, strained wort into primary, pitched yeast and aerated. All the normal stuff. The only thing is that I haven't seen any activity coming from the airlock. The primary is not see through, so I can't tell if anything is happening. The only problem I could think of was that the top wasn' on tight. I was wary to do it, but I popped the top off and made sure it was on tight.

All of my other brews have bubbled vigorously at first. Am I being paranoid?

If you did not pitch a starter then it may take a while to start fermentation. For some reason all my brews lately have taken 24 hours at least to start. For me at least, it's time to start making up some starters.

Yep, I was just being paranoid. Either it took the yeast a little while to start, or the top wasn't on right. Its bubbling away nicely now.

Back