Effects of Lagering at 48F?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boodlemania

Reaction score
I have a dumb question for which I can't find the answer.

Due to not having enough space to cold lager several cornies, I wonder if I could use my fermentation chamber, set to 46-48F to mature lagers in cornies while I ferment new ones.

What would be the effects of lagering 1.050-1.060 beers at 46F-48F? Longer lager times needed? Adverse taste effects in the beer?

Any advice would be appreciated.

To me 48f is closer to a cellar temp. I would guess that the beer wouldn't have that real smooth lager quality to it, the yeast aren't going to drop out at that temp. I don't even serve my ales at that temp, kinda high imo.

I personally would try to find another alternative.

Here's something from a BYO article I found.

Lagering beer at temperatures that are too warm for the style and yeast can increase the possibility that unwanted flavors stay active in the finished beer. Home*brewers must use every trick in the book to assure that the beer stays at least below 50° F for ales and 40° F for lagers during this phase. Only the forgiving yeasts will complete their conditioning task at this final temperature. Optimally, lager and ale yeasts should be put to sleep through very cold temperatures — at or near freezing — at the end of the conditioning cycle.

Thanks for the feedback. I kinda figured that it wasn't a good idea, but I couldn't find info one way or the other.

Now all that remains is to convince the CFO that I need a multi-corny lagering keezer.

That ought to be easy, right? (rolls eyes)

For a lager:
Please define "Conditioning cycle".
Is that the secondary fermentation before racking or is it cabonation cycle?
Is room temp in a dark closet (~ 70degrees) OK for the carbonation cycle?

Thanks.

Back