Refractometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got one for my B-day but am still trying to see the big benefit. am I correct in saying that you can only convert the initial reading (after boil) to calculate the SG?

I just got one for my B-day but am still trying to see the big benefit. am I correct in saying that you can only convert the initial reading (after boil) to calculate the SG?

A refractometer is calibrated for sugar/water mix only. Therefore it won't give the correct reading in a sugar/water/alcohol mix.

I'm planning on creating a chart over time as I brew by using a hydrometer to take a reading and then using the refractometer. I should be able to make a chart with refractometer readings on the left scale, hydrometer readings on the bottom scale and a line for each original gravity wort. This would allow me to have a conversion reference for future use at each original SG that I brew.

A refractometer is calibrated for sugar/water mix only. Therefore it won't give the correct reading in a sugar/water/alcohol mix.

I'm planning on creating a chart over time as I brew by using a hydrometer to take a reading and then using the refractometer. I should be able to make a chart with refractometer readings on the left scale, hydrometer readings on the bottom scale and a line for each original gravity wort. This would allow me to have a conversion reference for future use at each original SG that I brew.

Guys, have a look at morebeer.com's excel spreadsheet that does the conversions for you. As long as you enter your original gravity, it will do the math and tell you the SG after fermentation has begun.

I'm considering dumping mine as it seems like it is almost the same amount of work to use my Hydrometer than it is to use the refractometer (I have a conical fermenter so samples are easy to take).

The real use for me is to track the mash when doing all grain brews. The ability for it to work on small samples that are easy to cool is a real asset.

It is also nice for fermentation, but I use both a hygrometer and refractometer for these readings, depending on the accuracy I need.

Mash tracking, eh? I didn't realize it could be used for that. How has this helped you with your Mash's?

What is mash tracking? I've found the refractometer useful when checking the gravity of the runoff in order to avoid oversparging and to check the pre and post boil gravity in the kettle, but I still confirm my OG's with a hydrometer the old fashioned way. I only use a hydrometer for checking the beer once it's in the fermenter.

Back