Oktoberfest Extract recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wegchef

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend an Oktoberfest extract recipe that they've made before. I do have the ability to lager. Any suggestions would be great. :mug:

Nice, another Buffalonian. I found out the hard way O-fest is tough to make w/ extract. I just tapped mine this past weekend and BLAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!

I am officially done trying to make that style. .5 for 4.

AHS has what's supposed to be a good extract kit, but I have no idea what's in it. The following is what I'd do to take a stab at rolling my own Oktoberfest extract recipe:

Generally, pilsner malt + Munich malt + Vienna malt = Oktoberfest. I'm not aware of any Vienna extracts but they do make Munich extract that is generally somewhere from 30%-40% Munich Malt and then filled in with Pilsner. You could probably get by without the Vienna by steeping some CaraMunich. That'll add a little of the missing Vienna's roastiness back. If it were me, I'd try:

4lbs Munich LME (assuming a 40% Munich mix)
3lbs Pilsner LME (EDIT: typo corrected)
1lb Caramunich steeped

and then grab a hop profile off a decent Marzen all grain recipe. According to BeerSmith, that still gets you in range color-wise and is as close as you're probably going to get to the actual typical grain ratios.

Like I said earlier, that's just a stab at it based off of my own experience making Marzens and based on how extracts I've never used should behave. Prepare for at least a little trial and error.

I've got the Clone Brews book 2nd edition, they have a recipe for Ayinger Oktober Fest-Märzen, has anyone tried this beer. It seems this would be my best bet at brewing an Oktoberfest beer. I will compare the differences in malt and hops but it looks like the DME is the same.

6 lb Munich LME (from AHS or NB) and 1 lb Amber DME. Assuming a 3 gallon boil add 2 oz of a 4% AA noble hop at 60 minutes (Saaz, Tettnager, Hallertauer, Spalter, ect.) I would not add any crystal malts or you will miss your FG. I would not do a late extract addition--some kettle caramelization would be a good thing. Two packs Saflager 34/70.

Never brewed, but I would if I could not do AG.

Back