1.25" hole to small for Home Depot heating element...anyone have a quick fix?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranger9913

Reaction score
I purchased a chassis punch 1.25" and purchased a 240v 5500w element from home depot. I was able to punch the hole smoothly and easily, however the element will not go through. If I use a step bit I think my next mark will be 1.5" will that be to big. Do the camco elements fit through a 1.25"?

I purchased a chassis punch 1.25" and purchased a 240v 5500w element from home depot. I was able to punch the hole smoothly and easily, however the element will not go through. If I use a step bit I think my next mark will be 1.5" will that be to big. Do the camco elements fit through a 1.25"?

Step bits have much smaller steps than that, you can EASILY open it up with a step bit. Though, I have to say my CAMCOs fit in my 1.25" holes. You are looking at the next step on a step drill being 1.375"

That said, all of these elements are the same size, unless you bought some specialized element, which I doubt at HD.

Are you sure the hole that was punched was 1.25"? Many times punch sizes are NOT the size hole they punch. This has ruined some kettles and coolers here ;)

Yea that sounds more reasonable for the step-bit. However, I think I will take the HD elements back and get the Camco's. Does the 1" nut from Bargain Fittings still work for those? Where did you order your Camco's from?

there are different sized elements. Check and see if it is a "special" 1 and 3/8 sized element. i almost bought one the other day, at a hw store. it was 5500 watt, ripple, ultra low density, just way to big of a thread. do you have calipers to measure your hole? Does the 1 and 1/4 part of your step bit fit?

Yea that sounds more reasonable for the step-bit. However, I think I will take the HD elements back and get the Camco's. Does the 1" nut from Bargain Fittings still work for those? Where did you order your Camco's from?

Yes, 1" nuts or couplers fit the standard screw in type water heater elements.

I ordered my CAMCOs from some online hardware store, man, I cant remember which. Google them, I have the 02583 elements.

Back