Ghetto lagering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyzo

Reaction score
OK, so I made my first ever lager for the first time. I mainly havent ever got around to making one because my place is usually so hot, but now in these nice winter months, I have a spare bedroom, and it stays perfectly at 50-55, so I figured why not brew a lager. So I threw it all together, pitched a little high at 60F, but cooled down to 52 over the course of the first 24 hours, and it was bubbling happily after 24 hours. But...here comes the dilema. So I'll let it stay in the primary for a month (has to be this long because Im leaving on vacation for 2 weeks coming up), and then I need to lager it. but I have no secondary fermentor, I'm a bit low on cash right now, and things are a little tight so I cant really just go spend happily like I would like to. So what I was wondering is if I could transfer the beer out of the secondary into a bottling bucket temporarily (avoiding splashing of course), clean the carboy out real well, and then transfer back into the carboy for lagering at 38F for a few months. Is this even realistic?
Thanks

i definitely think this would be OK. not ideal, but really, if you minimize splashing and exposure to air, i really don't think it will make a significant difference.

There's no reason why this won't work -given due care to sanitizing- but there are those who will say it's undue exposure to the beer. But, hey, if this is the equipment you've got, go for it.

Don't see why it wouldn't work. What I did was used my bottling bucket for the primary, then used my primary as a secondary. That way you would transfer 1 less time.

Why not use your bottling bucket as secondary to avoid the extra step?

Back