Wrong hops, wrong time. Any ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DansBrew

Reaction score
Ok, I'm boiling right now, Im making a winter type strong ale. The recipe has 3 hops, for bitter, flavor and finish.

the bittering are northern brew, flavor hallertau, and finish saaz. Like an idiot, I added the flavoring hops(hallertau) when I should have added the bittering(northern). I realized after 15 mins, and just threw the bittering hops in, and kept the flavoring ones in. I'll finish up as directed with the seasonal spices and the correct finishing hops at the end of the boil.
my question/worry: how much of a difference is that 15 minute hop error going to have on the final outcome? its an extract with steeping grains. How screwed am i? im boiling away as I type. I added a little time to the timer, just to make up for the error. I'm basically just continuing as i normally would.

Keep going....It may not taste exactly like you intended, but it will still be beer.

Just learn from your mistake for next time....go over your recipe before you brew and lay everytihing out in order you are going to need it.

How much Hallertauer went in?

The Hallertauer are not as high in alpha acids as the NB's, so they won't impart as much bitterness. If you only boil, the NB's for 45 min, instead of 60, it's conceivable that you might end up with the same IBU as a full 60 mins with just the Northern Brewer. If not, it might just be a bit bitter than the kit was conceived, which you may like anyway.

I think it will be fine. Proceed with the instructions, sans the Hallertauer addition obviously.

Well, thanks REV, but I just realized I screwed up another step. UGH. Expensive kit too. I'll never dump beer. I just got too excited the 5 year old wanted to help! The recipe called for honey to be added after 45 mins of brewing. I added the honey after 15 mins(45 mins left, rather than 45 min elapsed.) now I'm getting nervous. I'm still gonna keep going. But what do you think after THAT error? Is it salvageable? I know as long as I put yeast in, I'm gonna have beer, lol so Im not too worried, but I'm just pissed now!

Neither of these mistakes will impact the flavor much. It will be a little more bitter, and Hallertauer doesn't have a powerful flavor anyway, so no big loss. The honey is there mostly to dry out the finish, honey leaves very little flavor after fermenting, so again, no big deal.

I think it will not make a difference at all. The only way to notice would be to brew it again and follow the recipe but I think the difference would be very small even side by side. Relax it will taste great you made it.

It might make a difference to a beer judge, but a layman like me won't be able to tell the difference. You might have gotten some more isomerization of the bittering oils from your aroma hops and maybe got a little less from your bittering hops, but the profile shouldn't be too skewed. Rename it something else and act like you meant to do it. I guarantee people will still drink it. Then, RDWHAHB and learn from your mistakes.

Adding the honey early and increasing the boil gravity may reduce the hop utilization, canceling out the bitterness from the extra hops. Either way, I agree with everyone else that it will turn out fine.

Im sure itll be fine. I always smell the airlock, and it had a nice hoppy smell, although its supposed to be more malty according to the brew sheet that came with it. I don't mind. I'll drink every last drop. I've certainly had worse...

Shhh, if you don't tell anyone what it was meant to be like they'll take it for what it actually is.

It's actually good that you posted each of your mistakes here. Now, when it's done, if it turns out to be fantastic you can look back here and know exactly what you did. Usually when you mess something up and it turns out great you have trouble remember how you screwed it up in the first place so you can screw it up again the same way. :D

Back