New guy in the house - new recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark_

Reaction score
Good day everyone,

I have a question but first a little history:

I have brewed some beer in the past but never tried my hand at wine. I have been reading a lot online about how to do this the correct way and have incorporated all of this knowledge into my first batch which I started several days ago.

The recipe I am using is here: http://timetowhine.endoftheinternet.org/?page_id=37 (This is my personal website)

You can read through my blog on it if you want but I will sum it up here, I know I bore myself to tears at times.

• Sterilized all equipment in Kmeta, 7700mg per gallon of water. (2026ppm per my calculations)
  • Cleaned and de-stemmed 40 pounds of Peruvian red grapes.
  • Mashed grapes in 6 gallon bucket lined with cheesecloth(which I will leave out next time most likely)
  • SG started at 1.070, adjusted to 1.100(a little high) with 3/4 gallon of water and 2 pounds 13 ounces of sugar.
  • Added 2200mg Kmeta to 5 gallons of must and let sit for 24 hours, covered.
  • Stirred in 2.5 tsp of powdered pectic enzyme and covered.

That is where I am at right now. Here is my question:

I will be adding nutrients and yeast this evening but I have had the lid on the bucket this entire time. I just realized that I needed to have it open, or at least lightly covered with a cloth, to allow the Kmeta to release into the air. I uncovered it and just put a cloth over it just this morning and will have about 10 hours of it being like this, just covered with a cloth, before I intended to add the yeast this evening

Should I wait till tomorrow for the yeast or should I be ok?

Thanks everyone,
Mark

Even if you can't answer the above question of "should I pitch the yeast with only 10 hours of airing out the SO2", maybe someone can answer this?

Is there a way to measure the SO2 or Kmeta levels in the must? That will give me an indication of when I can move forward with the yeast.

Good day everyone,

I have a question but first a little history:

I have brewed some beer in the past but never tried my hand at wine. I have been reading a lot online about how to do this the correct way and have incorporated all of this knowledge into my first batch which I started several days ago.

The recipe I am using is here: http://timetowhine.endoftheinternet.org/?page_id=37 (This is my personal website)

You can read through my blog on it if you want but I will sum it up here, I know I bore myself to tears at times.

[*]Sterilized all equipment in Kmeta, 7700mg per gallon of water. (2026ppm per my calculations)
[*]Cleaned and de-stemmed 40 pounds of Peruvian red grapes.
[*]Mashed grapes in 6 gallon bucket lined with cheesecloth(which I will leave out next time most likely)
[*]SG started at 1.070, adjusted to 1.100(a little high) with 3/4 gallon of water and 2 pounds 13 ounces of sugar.
[*]Added 2200mg Kmeta to 5 gallons of must and let sit for 24 hours, covered.
[*]Stirred in 2.5 tsp of powdered pectic enzyme and covered.

That is where I am at right now. Here is my question:

I will be adding nutrients and yeast this evening but I have had the lid on the bucket this entire time. I just realized that I needed to have it open, or at least lightly covered with a cloth, to allow the Kmeta to release into the air. I uncovered it and just put a cloth over it just this morning and will have about 10 hours of it being like this, just covered with a cloth, before I intended to add the yeast this evening

Should I wait till tomorrow for the yeast or should I be ok?

Thanks everyone,
Mark

Sorry mark, just saw this! You should give your must a bit of a stir to help off gas the kmeta, which will also give it a bit more O2.

You can pitch tonight. It'll be fine. :)

Thank you very much WilliamSlayer and no worries about not seeing it. I never expect a response but I do like to try!

I will move ahead with the pitch tonight. Thanks again!

Even if you can't answer the above question of "should I pitch the yeast with only 10 hours of airing out the SO2", maybe someone can answer this?

Is there a way to measure the SO2 or Kmeta levels in the must? That will give me an indication of when I can move forward with the yeast.

Np dude! Also, to answer this question, yes you can test it. However the way that I know how is using a Titret kit, which requires that you have one. They can be purchased at most homebrew shops if you ask about it! :)

Again, thank you for that! I will look into that. With many years of chemistry labwork under my belt I think this won't be an issue. Besides, I love the gadgets!

Thanks man!

Back