Big Bottling Day Question -

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikemet

Reaction score
I have 3 carboys of beer I need to bottle today- only about 8-9 gallons :)

I did a grav reading on one batch - and its done. Its been sitting about 25-28 days now.

The other 2 however did not get any readings- part lazy- part didnt want to open and disturb anything- you know I have that thing called PATIENCE going.

I think I am going to run them through the hydrometer once- and not again in a few days- cause they have all been sitting at least 3 weeks without disturbance- primary fermentation finished within 3-5 days- kreusen all fell down etc. I cant imagine needing a second reading in 1-2 days to confirm if fermentation is done. These are just regular grav beers-

Any potential harm in just bottling this stuff and giving it a go?

Of course there is potential harm. You might have a stuck fermentation and by bottling it might restart the ferment and get you a bunch of bottle bombs. I'd prefer you to always check the hydrometer before bottling just to make sure it is in the expected range for final gravity.

Of course there is potential harm. You might have a stuck fermentation and by bottling it might restart the ferment and get you a bunch of bottle bombs.
But, this could be true if you checked gravity also. In theory, there is no way of knowing that a fermentation is "stuck" and about to restart at some random point in time. In practice, this doesn't happen. If it does, there's a reason: change in temp, a blooming infection, new sugar added, etc.

I mean, think about it. If you take multiple readings, and they all show 1.019, is it stuck, or finished? The hydrometer can't answer that question. Go ahead and bottle it.

I'd prefer you to always check the hydrometer before bottling just to make sure it is in the expected range for final gravity.
Sure. That's what I do too. But as afar as waiting three or four weeks, then taking multiple grav readings, I say screw that. But I'm probably in the minority.

Cheers!

ETA: Just to be clear, we're talking about an extended primary here. If the question was about a 10 day old batch, I would definitely advise two readings.

I agree completely. If after 3 weeks or so I check and it is at final gravity I don't bother checking again and I usually don't try to rush a brew to begin with so 3 weeks is pretty quick for me.

Well I bottled the 7 gallons- not the 8-9 I thought. Either way, I took grav readings anyway- the Zest was done I know that. Everything else was in normal range- or even lower than expected- nonetheless- 3 more cases of beer to add to the pipeline

Dunky Blonde Lemon Zest
Hefeweizen
Citra hopped ale

All looks smells and tastes good. Looking forward to 3 weeks from now.

Cheers guys- thanks for talking me off the bottle bomb ledge :)

Ooh, they sound delicious!

But, this could be true if you checked gravity also. In theory, there is no way of knowing that a fermentation is "stuck" and about to restart at some random point in time. In practice, this doesn't happen. If it does, there's a reason: change in temp, a blooming infection, new sugar added, etc.

I mean, think about it. If you take multiple readings, and they all show 1.019, is it stuck, or finished? The hydrometer can't answer that question. Go ahead and bottle it.
I use brewing software (online calculators) to give me an estimated final gravity, but not just for added piece of mind.. Makes me feel quite "official" :D

Back