Most common grains to have around

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blizz81

Reaction score
I was looking for a sticky and didn't see one...perhaps I should spend more effort searching rather than posting, but I'm lazy on this Friday.

I'm partaking in a group buy with a couple of buddies, and was wondering what people's takes were regarding what are the most common grains they use/like to have around in general to fit most basic brews/styles?

I'm probably aiming to still spot order for a lot of our brews, but it'd be nice to have some grains on hand to a) supplement brews (it seems with the 70s% efficiency of a cooler LMT setup + batch sparge, the easiest way to avoid a watery/less abv-ey beer is bump up the grain bill a tad) and b) maybe brew a batch with on-hand inventory every once in a while, depending as little as possible on the expensive LHBS options here. So, along with domestic 2-row, what would you guys/gals recommend as staple grains?

Malted Barley!

For me it's;

Pilsner, Brewers 2 Row, Munich for the bases.
Crystal 40, 60, 120.
Roasted and Chocolate.
Oats

Maybe some biscuit and some melanoidin.

The rest I pick up as needed.

I should also specify that I have no lagering capabilities after I killed my lagerator. Maybe in the future if I can find a small chest freezer that works well for the purpose...

I should also specify that I have no lagering capabilities after I killed my lagerator. Maybe in the future if I can find a small chest freezer that works well for the purpose...

Why does that matter? Because of my Pilsner mention?

Many, many, many Belgian ales start with a Pilsner base. It an excellent low color grain to start from although there are other grain with slightly higher PPG yield.

munich, vienna, several crystals, white wheat malt, flaked wheat, chocolate, roast barley, black patent, victory

some, a pound will last a while like the black patent.

lots of 2-row, a good amount of various crystal malts, and then a few pounds of various specialty grains. You could literally jump up and start brewing any number of things at a moment's notice.... just make sure you have dry yeast in the fridge and hops in the freezer.

In fact, I think I might brew tonight. Just decided that.

Yeah, pretty much agree with everyone. 2 Row, Marris, Pilsen, Munich, Crystal 20L-120L, Choc., Roasted, Torrified Wheat, Oats, some Amber Malt, Victory, Special B. Montanaandy

Large quantities:
2-row, Maris Otter, White Wheat

Med Quantities:
Munich, Vienna, C-40, C-120, CaraPils,

Small Quantities:
Chocolate, other Crystal Malts, everything else

I should probably get another large bin for pilsen, but I don't brew with it that much.

Depends on what you prefer. Me, APAs, IPAs, IIPAs. So lots of 2-row (currently mostly "Pale Ale Malt"), crystal 15, 60, Munich, Vienna. Sometimes toast a little 2-row. But I could basically live with 2 row and some crystal, as long as the hops are good.

I use Maris Otter or Pilsner as a base for everything. I also have a good selection of crystal, light wheat, victory, chocolate and dark munich.

Thanks for all your suggestions. Now I have to remember the hop ordering site I stumbled on here a while back, and read up on culturing yeast ;)

Back