Help! - Can't get gray gas connector to come off the post

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polamalu43

Reaction score
I think attached my gas connector (gray thing) to the wrong post. I connected it to on to the “in” post, but I think that I may have screwed the wrong metal, hexagonal tower (the thing the gray, gas connector attaches to) onto the “in” post. Now, I can’t get my gas connector to come off. It’s firmly stuck. Anyone have this happen before? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

By the way, are the two hexagonal/star-shaped things interchangeable? If so, I’ve figured out my problem. I just don’t have a solution (i.e. a means of getting the gas connector off of it).

It's something you'll do only once. :D
It took 2 men pulling with all their might to get it off when our brew buddy did it to one of our kegs. The really stupid part about it is that it doesn't go on the wrong post all that easy so why he forced it on is beyond me.

Warning: I'm going to ask a sexist question here. Why in the world is it that if something doesn't move/work/adjust easily (the way it's suppose to) men think brute force will help it? :p

Ah, so the posts are not interchangeable?

Are the poppet valves inside of each post interchangeable?

Ah, so the posts are not interchangeable?

Are the poppet valves inside of each post interchangeable?

Right- they are NOT interchangeable, and I can never tell the difference. So, when I tear apart a keg, I put the "innies" together and the "outies" together. They have some differences in appearance, but I can't see it.

Sorry, I asked two questions there so your answer was ambiguous. My fault.

The posts are NOT interchangeable. I get that.

Are the pop-it valves interchangeable?

I used to force carb by putting the gas line on the liquid line. Then I continually had a hard time removing the line so I got smart and bought a second fitting. Anyways to get a stuck gray connector off use a pair of pliers that you can wrap around the bottom part of the fitting (the part that lifts up, the widest part) then tap the pliers with a hammer or your hand and it will pop right off.

mid size vise grips work well for this or any angled pliers that are designed to grip onto a pipe or something. Needlenose probably won't work well because there to straight and dont get in contact with enough surface area of the fitting, it might break it.

Right- they are NOT interchangeable, and I can never tell the difference. So, when I tear apart a keg, I put the "innies" together and the "outies" together. They have some differences in appearance, but I can't see it.

Look at the attached picture. The gas post has notches (circled) in red so you can identify it with your fingers in a cooler where you cannot see. Also, the "ramp" (bevel) on a gas post is very short/narrow whereas the ramp on a liquid post is much longer/wider.

gaspost.jpg

Look at the attached picture. The gas post has notches (circled) in red so you can identify it with your fingers in a cooler where you cannot see. Also, the "ramp" (bevel) on a gas post is very short/narrow whereas the ramp on a liquid post is much longer/wider.

I've come across a few liquid posts with notches, so that may not always work. The size of the bevel is 100% sure though - liquid side is always bigger. That's how I remember - Beer, Black (connector color), Big (bevel on post).

Warning: I'm going to ask a sexist question here. Why in the world is it that if something doesn't move/work/adjust easily (the way it's suppose to) men think brute force will help it? :p
Because it so often does :)

I've come across a few liquid posts with notches, so that may not always work.

Look carefully at the notch. A very small/shallow notch that is not easily felt is not uncommon on the edges of many hex fittings. Blindfolded, it will feel like a rough edge or a burr. The notches on a gas fitting are deeper and intended to be identified blind. It will feel like a notch. Hold one of each and feel it with your eyes closed, you'll see what I mean.

Back