Any Advice for New Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYBrew

Reaction score
Hi All! I am new to the home brew scene. Just put my first extract beer in the primary. It is a German Oktoberfest by Brewers Best. Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks!

Read "How To Brew" cover to cover. Read this site religiously. Prepare for brewday ahead of time, and keep good records of your ingredients and process.

Oh yeah, and do a site search before asking basic questions.

Welcome to the addiction!

Patience and good sanitation practices are key in good beer.

Like Sea said, read How to Brew and peruse this forum and you will pick up a great deal of knowledge on making great beer.

Sped a lot of time here and don't be afraid to ask questions. There are a lot of good people here who have a ton of experience and are willing to help out new brewers. After all, we were all new brewers at one some point.

Welcome to HBT and congrats on your first batch!

Read through the stickies in each sub-forum. All of them are there for one reason or another -- usually because the informatin they contain is the bees' knees.

Also, brew a batch of Hobgoblin sometime. If you like english beers at all, you'll thank me. Well, you'll thank Orfy, it's his baby.

Reading for sure: How to Brew by Palmer, Joy of Homebrewing by Papazian, and cruise the threads on this site.

These things helped me brew better beer:
1. Full wort boil: you need a big kettle (7 gallons or more)
2. Temperature controlled fermentation chamber
3. Print or write out a brew-day sheet, with all the ingredients on it and when to add them. This will make your brew day stress-free and make sure you don't forget anything.

Unless your wife is all gung-ho about your hobby make sure you have primed her well.

Tell her what you are planning to do, then let her ferment for a week before continuing. Never let the wife boil over, clean ups are messy.

That is actually serious advice right there. :)

Welcome to the forum!

How to Brew is a great way to get started. These forums are also a wonderful source of experience and knowledge.

Don't OVER-read... the best way to learn is to brew! and brew often. (or at least until your wife asks nicely for you to stop messing up the kitchen for a few months.)

Back