Botched Lagers bottled :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dibby33

Reaction score
Took the hit last night and bottled my two batches of lager.
First one is 9.8% and the second 7.1%. :drunk:

For those that did not read my other post (wherever it went!) these two lagers are a bit of a forkup. I used two MSB kits (each kit makes 11.5 litres) and forgot that no extra DME is needed! 2 Kilos in the first and 1 Kilo in the second. Was in a hurry (which is why I just used tins in the first place - love them!) and was not paying attention. That will teach me.

This was me trying to make a session beer! Gonna be a short and exicting session. I now have 120 bottles of strong lager. Good job I am a fully qualified pishhead and have a couple of mates that will glady help me along the way.

...now I just need to get more bottles as these will be tied up for a couple of months I think. Drink on MacDuff...

Well, isn't a 9% lager a "session beer" for a Scotsman? I mean, c'mon! I'd hate to embarass you by outdrinking you. I'd like the opportunity to try, however. :D

Well, you have some "sipable" lagers, I guess. Barleywine lager? It does sound pretty good to me, actually. After your kids go to bed, you could have a couple of beers and join them!

YooperBrew said:
Well, isn't a 9% lager a "session beer" for a Scotsman? I mean, c'mon! I'd hate to embarass you by outdrinking you. I'd like the opportunity to try, however. :D

I would love to see you try. I have nearly been outdrunk by a female before, years ago. I only won because I smelt sambuca on the carpet and remembered that she spilt her drink and I drank mine. Don't ask why I smelt the carpet ;)

I cannot really drink on line with you either with the time differences - although I supose I could make a day of it!

Going to the LHBS at lunch time today (lucky for me it is only about 20min walk away), will buy another lager kit and try again. oh and a barrel, 1000 caps, cleaner, brush...

Just an update on these beers - they are fantastic. Both carbonated up nicely and make for a good night! Very tasty, would make them again :) Would have to put some more hops in though to counteract the sweetness and alcohol. BURP

they may mellow after a while........10% is a hell of a beer though. If you like it i would look into the Eisbock style which consists of an extreemly potent brew at high alcohol which you freeze and pull out water concentrating it. Sipping beer for sure!

from the first post it looks like I used one kit per batch. This was not the case, 2 kits in each making four in total.

they may mellow after a while........10% is a hell of a beer though. If you like it i would look into the Eisbock style which consists of an extreemly potent brew at high alcohol which you freeze and pull out water concentrating it. Sipping beer for sure!

They already are quite mellow. A bit sweet still though. (is that what you mean!)

I will try freezing a couple of see what happens :tank:

Back