Any NASCAR fans?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not a fanatic. Never really paid a lot of attention to the circuits or individual drivers. But lately, since I've been brewing in the brewshop every weekend, I find myself very entertained by watching NASCAR races on the weekends.

A good race just about fills the brew session and I really enjoy overall production and commentators.

I also gotta believe that amongst those thousands of RV's, there a re a few homebrewers enjoying some HB on Saturday/Sundays.

Anyone else a fan (or growing fan) of the races?

I don't follow it now, but I used to catch a few races in years past. If you ever get the opportunity, try to get to a race in person. TV doesn't do justice to the speed and the sound. A visit to the local short track is also a lot of fun for a Saturday night.

There's a short track on the drive to the HBS. I'm thinking next summer, Cassie'll be old enough to stop by and watch a race. I can't watch racing on TV (still better than listening to it on the radio :rolleyes:), but I have good memories of seeing some races in person when I was a kid.

I use to be an avid fan and followed it very closely. The past couple of years its gone way too comercial, and I espescially cant stand Fox's coverage. Driver's shift around like bubble gum cards and it is a pain to keep track. NASCAR has done every thing possible to take the passion out of the sport. Drivers hardly ever say how they really feel about being put in the wall and victory lane might as well be a confrence room. Dont get me started about the IRL guys, specifically Montoya...
Still a dia hard Harvick fan but I wont plan my sunday around the races any more.

The car of today does look like it may make things interesting again.

i usually go to MIS every fathers day weekend but due to budget constraints i have to choose between that and the NHC i think NHC is gonna win:mug:

I can't say I ever understood it. I've tried to watch, especially after I got my first HD programming. I love wrenching on cars and have been into hot rods and drag racing (not the commercial BS). I have all kinds of respect for the individual aspects of driving, crew, etc but the big picture is just a bunch of billboards going in a circle and occassionally wrecking.

I watch, usually in a few NASCAR pools and I'm going to the fall race in Dover this year. It will be only my second live race but first oval, saw my first race at Watkins Glen a couple of years ago.

they're not stock cars anymore. i don't have much patience left for it after nextel took sponsorship...

As uglygoat stated they're not "stock cars" anymore. But , ya gotta love it. The racing that is. The tv coverage is all around horrible. Going to a race is a great time. Whether it's a local short track (sometimes better racing) or a Nascar race.

BierMuncher said:
That was a good race on Sunday.

Matt Kenseth had to be a little p!ssed.

I think a few guy's had to be pissed after that race. Bad tires and now it looks like Edwards is going to get fined and lose points.

Never been able to get into it. Buncha fast cars driving in circles over and over and over and over again. Though I have to say, I've been itching to go to a NASCAR race, just for the people-watching. I've heard it's a people-watching mecca.

Evan! said:
Never been able to get into it. Buncha fast cars driving in circles over and over and over and over again. Though I have to say, I've been itching to go to a NASCAR race, just for the people-watching. I've heard it's a people-watching mecca.

One helluva tailgate too. :mug:

:mug: My last hobby was Slot Car Racing, 1/24 scale. We had a league and events, but those things tend to die off after about a year.:off: Anyways I got into watching NASCAR because of it and it is the biggest spectator sport. Have a dirt track in Cottage Grove where the World of Outlaws comes every year. Never been though.......:D

I won tickets back in 92 to see Richard Petty's last race. Ive been hooked ever since. I'll be at this weekends race in Atlanta:rockin:

Evan! said:

Yeah , go once, it is an all day party.
I went to the 40th Daytona 500(the year Dale Sr.won). I had seats in the Fritos hospitality suite right behind the pits. It was an awesome day.

I thought Bristol would be a little boring with no big straight-aways. I was wrong.

It was a great race. Kyle Bush has to be ready to sell his soul for a wreck free weekend.

the short tracks, imo are where the real racing is at. no aero packackage, slap a bumber on that ride and mash!

I'm not a huge maniac, but one of my roommates got me into a 2 years ago, so I watch it on a semi regular basis... The races are great, because you can start watching, at the beginning of the race, run some errands, come back and catch the last 30 laps.

bigjohnmilford said:
That was some good racing yesterday. All the Stewart fans must be just a little angry with Harvick. Gotta love Bristol

Yes.
But I can't hate on Happy.

Bristol and Martinsville are the two best traclks on the entire circuit. Forget Daytona and Talladegga, short tracks are where its at. Harvick is my boy but that was a pretty bum thing to do. Give Tony the chance and he would of done the same thing ;)

Virtuous said:
Bristol and Martinsville are the two best traclks on the entire circuit. Forget Daytona and Talladegga, short tracks are where its at. Harvick is my boy but that was a pretty bum thing to do. Give Tony the chance and he would of done the same thing ;)

I hear ya on the short tracks. But you gotta love the plate tracks too. 20 cars finish within a half a second of each other @ 190+ mph. I'm so glad racing is back in full swing. :D

I am pissed for a couple of reasons with Harvick! Totally screwed Tony. I am not sure that Tony would have won but he had no chance after that stupid move! Not only that it guaranteed that Tony would continue to look like a retard with that d@mn mullet! If they would just stop wrecking him near the end of the race he'd cut it off!

:tank:

BierMuncher said:
I thought Bristol would be a little boring with no big straight-aways. I was wrong.

It was a great race. Kyle Bush has to be ready to sell his soul for a wreck free weekend.

You think Bristol was fun wait until the 30th at Martinsville, Ive been there twice it is insane.

RICLARK said:
You think Bristol was fun wait until the 30th at Martinsville, Ive been there twice it is insane.
I hope Waltrip's voice is better by then. Everytime he tried to say something during the race, the SWMBO would look over from the other room and ask "what's that noise that keeps coming out of the tv...?"

BierMuncher said:
I hope Waltrip's voice is better by then. Everytime he tried to say something during the race, the SWMBO would look over from the other room and ask "what's that noise that keeps coming out of the tv...?"

Lmao I thought the same thing, After a while it started making my cringe when he would talk.

BierMuncher said:
I'm still new to this.

What's a "free pass" refer to when the yellow comes out?
More commonly refered to as the Lucky Dog.

The first car 1 lap down is allowed to come around and get on the tail end of the lead lap. Basically it allows yah to get a lap back. They did this when the declared a yellow flag freezes the field the instant it is waved, so no more racing to the finish line during a yellow flag.

BierMuncher said:
I'm still new to this.

What's a "free pass" refer to when the yellow comes out?

The first Car that is a lap down is allowed to get back on the lead lap for example, if POS 17-43 are all 1 lap down 17 will get back on the lead lap and on the next caution POS 18 will be back on the lead lap.

BierMuncher said:
Sometimes you just have to know when to say when. It was not working AT ALL for Waltrip.

BTW, I'm a fan. My Dad used to crew for a small outfit back in the 60's, and all of the millhands at our lumber mill were big into it (and souping up their lawnmowers, etc.).

My Dad and I go to Charlotte for the fall race each year, and maybe once a month we head out to Southern National (www.southernnational.net) to see some local shorttrack action. The level of competition is pretty good...JR Motorsports runs some teams out there, Crissy Wallace is testing with Tony Stewart's Legends team next week, a couple of the late model guys have gotten picked up for the odd Busch (excuse me, Nationwide) race.

BTW, anybody who is even a marginal race fan MUST buy a copy of Get Back to Dirt: http://www.getbacktodirt.com/. I guarantee you, you will not be disappointed! The Baron would not do you wrong.

Great race on Saturday.

Kyle Bush looked like he was gonna punch out the reporter after the race.

Wimmer ran a good race, but I was sure pulling for Reutimann to have enough fuel. He came from way the hell back to like...4th, with 9 laps to go???

He's going to be one to watch as he steps in for Jarrett.

That was a good race. Only problem with the Reutimann theory is those were the Busch / Nationwide cars. They (Waltrip racing) just don't seem to have the cup cars figured out as well yet. They are a lot better than they were last year though. It should be a great race this weekend.

Back