Didn't add enough extract to my yeast starter. Now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bisco_Ben

Reaction score
Let me start by saying that I am an idiot for this one. I was rushing through making my yeast starter for wyeast's belgian strong ale yeast and accidentally added too much water, without noticing until after I pitched the yeast somehow. I was aiming for 1600 ml's with 160 grams of extract. Even after boil off, this starter came in at 1800 ml's. I still cant believe i managed to do this. Well anyway, whats the worst I can expect and is there anything I should do right now to correct this stupid mistake?:confused:

No worries. You can either cold crash, decant and start over, or you can let the starter ferment out and do a step-up with the proper amount of wort.

you can always boil up more extract if you have some. building up starters is ok, but i wouldn't worry about it. pitch as is

Thanks for the quick responses. I planned to step it up anyway, so I guess I will just use more wort than I was originally planning for the next step.

Back