Single Tier Brew Stand Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfrizzell

Reaction score
I'm hoping to start building a single tier brew stand in the not too distant future. Right now I'm in the planning stage, designing the stand and various options. I'm going to start fairly simple and add on as time / money allows. The first phase will be the stand with three burners that will be manually lit / controlled. In the future I plan to automate the HLT and MLT burners with temp controllers.

Here's a rendering of the basic frame plan. Its based on the Brutus design with a few tweaks. I'm putting the gas manifold on the front so I'll have easy access to the burner valves. I'm still working out the details on the burner heat shield and the best way to ensure the burner exhaust is vented.

Any input would be appreciated. I've learned a ton here reading about everyone's builds so I thought I'd throw mine up there and hopefully someone else can learn from mine as I'm going through the process.

Brew Stand.jpg

Looks like gas is in the frame. I have seen people do this but there are also those who are very adamant about how dangerous that is. Just something to think about.

Looks like gas is in the frame. I have seen people do this but there are also those who are very adamant about how dangerous that is. Just something to think about.

Thanks for the input, certainly something to think about, but as you said many have done this. There will only be the one lower section of frame tube that is pressurized with gas and I would definitely pressure test this section to ensure the welds are sound.

My concept for the future control panel is that it will be mounted on an arm and hinged off the right front leg. This will allow me to fold the control panel around to the side of the stand when not in use so it won't take up as much space.

Brew Stand Controls.jpg

Brew Stand Controls Folded.jpg

Moved things forward a bit tonight. Picked up a welder and angle grinder. Need to put some more work into the design and finish a bathroom project in the house before I can start on the stand, but things are starting to take shape. This is going to be a fun project!

Thinking about planning for a fold away shelf on the left end of the stand.

Possibly using a set of these folding shelf brackets mounted to the two upright frame legs with a shelf mounted to the brackets. The shelf would give a nice work surface to stage hops and hold tools such as a refractometer or a pH meter.

Any thoughts on this? Can't say I've seen any brew stands with a shelf like this but it seems like it would come in handy.

Last edited by a moderator:
The shelf is a great idea. I'm sure I've seen it once or twice before. Not sure why it's not considered a standard item. I am always looking for places to set various items while I brew. Don't forget to add a cup holder for your beer! :mug:

There will most certainly be a cup holder somewhere. Most likely on the side of the control panel!

Good idea. As far away from heat as possible. And being on the far side of the panel it will be shielded.

Good idea. As far away from heat as possible. And being on the far side of the panel it will be shielded.

Yep, that was my thought as well. I've got one of these from another project that I never used so it's probably going on the right side of the panel.

27142200_colorsm.jpg

I'm looking for some input on mounting of the burners and venting of burner exhaust. I'll be using flat bottom kettles. I've seen a few different configurations for wind / heat shield mounting and kettle support. I've shown two different versions in the attached image.

The one on the left has the wind shield / burner mount located lower and has the shield mounted on bent brackets.

The one on the right has the wind shield / burner mount located higher and has the shield mounted on square tubing.

My thought is the version on the left leaves more room for exhaust gases to escape from under the pot.

Perhaps I'm over thinking this...but, any input would be appreciated. :mug:

Burner Detail.jpg

What many folks have done is to attach some short pieces of square rod to the rail tops to lift their kettles up a 1/4" or more. Solves the problem with the right side design.

If the flat bottom pot diameter is large enough that it rests on all four square tubing segments, the design on the left side will only be modestly more effective than the one on the right, because even though there are four cut-outs between the bracket ends, the exhaust will still have to go down and under the square tubing to escape.

If you raised those four brackets so their tops are above the square tubing by as little as a 1/2" and made them strong enough to become the pot rests, that would provide a big improvement wrt "breathing", as the exhaust would then flow directly out and up.

But I think adding the square stock to the rail tops is easier and at least as effective if not more so...

Cheers!

I'm leaning toward the design below. The rear tube of the upper frame will be lowered and the wind / heat shield will only go to the top of this tube. That will leave a gap between the pot and the upper tube for heat / gases to escape. The wind shield will be bolted to the angle brackets in the corners and the wind shield will then have slots milled in it to allow height adjustment of the burner.

I know this is a little more complicated than just putting bars to raise the pot, but I'm hoping this will also serve to direct the hot exhaust to the rear of the stand, away from the front of the pots where I would have shut offs / temp probes / etc.

Burner Mount.jpg

Looks good! Just subscribed. I am actually in the same phase of my own build and am starting out the same way - manually controlled for now and adding electronics later. I will be ordering 2" SS square tube tomorrow and will be using flat bar or square rod to create a grate on top. In addition to helping with exhaust and burner efficiency, it will also allow for using different size kettles. I am starting with 25 gal kettles that have 18.25" bottom diameter. My initial design was 18" x 68" leaving 7" between vessels for handle clearance but I may stretch it out a few more inches each way to accommodate 23-25" kettles in the future.

I am also trying to figure out best way to mount the 10" Banjo burners and debating between brackets/shroud vs. an adjustable mounting bar. Do you have any concerns about the shroud reducing airflow? Have you considered a mounting bar(s)?

Thanks. Getting some things ordered and moving along. Got the burners ordered. Ended up going with the BG-14 for the HLT and kettle and the BG-12 for the MLT. Ordered all from AgriSupply.

Not really concerned about the wind shields blocking airflow. If you google the Blickmann Engineering burners. They're made the same way and after having my floor burner blown out about a half dozen times the last time I brewed, I'm definitely going with the wind shields. I'm either going to have the burners slide up and down in a slot in the wind shields or fixed to the wind shield and have a slot in the corner brackets.

I actually have a modified design of this and I'll post pictures later. Essentially instead of having the bend brackets in the corners, I have a triangular flat piece that will go in the corners. This will help block the heat on the front where I'll have valves and tubing, etc. On the back, I'll still have an opening for exhaust.

Trying to avoid putting bar stock on top to support the pots. Nothing against this, I just prefer to have the pots sit on the angle iron.

I'll be ordering Chugger pumps as soon as the March Madness deals are available.

Looking forward to working on this and eventually brewing on it.

I am also now leaning toward the wind shield since the BG-14's have the pre drilled holes which make mounting easier. Look forward to seeing your latest design with the triangular flat pieces. Any reason why you went with the BG-12 instead of the BG-14 for the MLT?

Just from what I've read, it seems the BG-14 might be overkill for an MLT. I'll be recirculating with the pump and direct firing the MLT. Some seem to thing the Bg-14 is oversized for this.

Sitting in an airport coming home from a business trip at the moment. Drinking Sweet Water IPA. I'll probably post some new pics tomorrow.

You have mad CAD skills. I found an example of a stand on brewershardware.com today - check out the pictures:

HS12_2.jpg

HS12_3.jpg

It is a similar design with the longitudinal support 2 inches lower than the other supports to vent exhaust gas to the rear. I am going to modify my design in this fashion. I like the idea of cutting the heat shield back as well.

What height are you making the stand? I am thinking of 20' inches with 4" casters - I don't want it too high and like the lower center of gravity.

Hoping we could get some help. Started this project quite some time ago, and looking to pick it back up to complete ASAP. Was hoping someone could point us in the right direction. We have built this stand, but that is as far as we have gotten https://plus.google.com/photos/112523178657704406126/albums/5694182712876974145. We need to run the gas lines, etc and do not know where to start. Trying to move our operation to the garage from the kitchen. :)

Back