pH and temperature confusion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elvestinkle

Reaction score
OK, so I have been reading about pH, and I thought I had a handle on it. My understanding was that when you checked the pH of your mash, it should be near 5.2. I use colorpHast type strips, that go from 4.8 to 6.4 or so, and dunk 'em in the mash after mixing my brewing salts.

Then I got wind that I should be checking my pH at room temperature. And now I'm reading conflicting things, where some folks say 5.2ish is right at mash temp (Palmer, Gordon, Papazian), and others say 5.2ish is right at room temp (a whole bunch of people on the Internets). I know that for homebrewing purposes, the whole range will be probably fine, but I'm trying to get a handle on process here. Given that the pH difference between mash temp and room temp is about 0.35 (with room temp being the higher), which one is the one to target for 5.2?

I always shoot for 5.4-5.7 at room temp ( per the EZ Water Calculator spreadsheet ). The 5.2 I would assume be for mash temp range.

The strips tend to under-report the true pH, so you do want to aim higher with the reading. 5.4 to 5.7 should get you in the right range.

Back