Adding spices to secondary???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Run3minman

Reaction score
Made a pumpkin brew and am really wanting some good flavor any suggestions/objections on what I could add to the secondary??? I was thinking maybe a cinnamon stick? All suggestions welcome.

Are you going to bottle or keg? If bottling take a taste test before racked into bottling bucket then adjust the flavor with adding some more spices to the priming sugar. Mine Turned out really good. I am a baker by trade so I know exactly how I wanted my spice level to be. If kegging I would taste then make a spice tea and add till you kit the flavor you are looking for.

I plan on bottling my pumpkin ale. Before I racked to secondary last week I added 2 cinnamon sticks (after being soaked in a little vodka) and 1 Tbsp of vanilla extract.

I racked a pumpkin ale this week myself. I make a "tea" by boiling 3 cups of water with 3 cloves, a little fresh ginger, 3 crushed allspice berries, a cinnamon stick and 2" of a vanilla bean. This got strained, chilled and added to the secondary as it got filled. We shall see how it turns out...

collinsDPT said:
It makes the beer a little more "creamy".

Yep. You need to use just enough to balance with the spices. Adding vanilla to my pumpkin ale this year made all the difference.

i was gonna throw in a tablespoon of pumpkin spice but now maybe some vanilla too how much ballpark for five gallons

i was gonna throw in a tablespoon of pumpkin spice but now maybe some vanilla too how much ballpark for five gallons
I added 1 Tbsp to my secondary with 5 gallons. I am going to taste it again at bottling and add it in small amounts, if necessary, until it is just right.

Back