Greetings from Korea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bosh

Reaction score
Hey all,

Don't have a clue what I'm doing and I can't get my hands on much equipment but anything is better than drinking more Asian beer. Just stared with a batch of Imperial Stout from a can on Saturday and so far so good...

Looking forward to eventually cooking up my own wort with grain, hope I can find the right equipment in this country.

Yeah, in Seoul. Have been here for three and a half years now and the local beer is awful and full or formadahyde (sp?), the imported stuff is insanely expensive (nearly $3/bottle to get some decent imported stuff) and not much of a selection. If it weren't for a mediocre cheapo Chinese lager (Five Star) that I found, I'd have gone insane by now :)

Bosh said:
Yeah, in Seoul. Have been here for three and a half years now and the local beer is awful and full or formadahyde (sp?), the imported stuff is insanely expensive (nearly $3/bottle to get some decent imported stuff) and not much of a selection. If it weren't for a mediocre cheapo Chinese lager (Five Star) that I found, I'd have gone insane by now :)
Welcome! I've spent my fair share of time in the land across the "Sea of Peace" from the "Land of the Rising Sun." I just recently came back from my last trip there, in fact.

Check out these threads:
Hello from S Korea
Austere brewing

Agreed - OB, Hite, Cass, Prime, Maxx, etc, et al are all complete $hit beers...worse than American BMC, in fact. If you're willing to pay more like ₩7,000 to ₩10,000 for a beer, there are some phenomenal imports available to you (many of them Belgian or German). I have no idea where to get brew supplies locally, though. I brought all of mine from the US.

Good luck!

PILSUNG!

Yuri_Rage said:
Welcome! I've spent my fair share of time in the land across the "Sea of Peace" from the "Land of the Rising Sun." I just recently came back from my last trip there, in fact.

Check out these threads:
Hello from S Korea
Austere brewing

Agreed - OB, Hite, Cass, Prime, Maxx, etc, et al are all complete $hit beers...worse than American BMC, in fact. If you're willing to pay more like ₩7,000 to ₩10,000 for a beer, there are some phenomenal imports available to you (many of them Belgian or German). I have no idea where to get brew supplies locally, though. I brought all of mine from the US.

Good luck!

PILSUNG!

Sea of Peace? It is the East Sea and only the East Sea as everyone knows ;)

There's some decent enough beer available (Leffe and Coopers especially) and I can get Leffe for under $3 a bottle at some department stores but doing so takes me well out of my pay and is still more than I'd like to pay for beer. In any case I want a Stout or a Porter that's nice and hoppy and all they have here are really mild tasting ones :(

Hmmm, any idea where to get something that could cook up some wort in Korea? I don't think my little gas range will cut it for anything besides making stuff out of cans.

Hey Bosh, can you get things shipped to you from the states? Do you have a military address (APO) or are you a civilian over there? If you can, go to northernbrewer.com and do some shopping. I live on a military base in Germany and have had all of my equipment shipped to me, fermenters, grains, caps, cappers, hops, yeast, everything!

seefresh said:
Hey Bosh, can you get things shipped to you from the states? Do you have a military address (APO) or are you a civilian over there? If you can, go to northernbrewer.com and do some shopping. I live on a military base in Germany and have had all of my equipment shipped to me, fermenters, grains, caps, cappers, hops, yeast, everything!

Nope I'm a teacher.
The problem I've had with ordering oither stuff in the past is that my credit card has a Korean address which some websites don't like (my old credit card expired two years ago, I've been in Korea for a while).
I'm going to try to get a hang of what I can get in Korea before I start paying extra for shipping, but I'm sure I could get just about anything shipped to my home if I'm willing to pay.

I used a propane burner that was clearly Korean made. I rented it on a military installation. It was marked, "turkey fryer," but I'm sure that's just because it was on an American base. I have no idea where to buy one, but they do exist...

Yuri_Rage said:
I used a propane burner that was clearly Korean made. I rented it on a military installation. It was marked, "turkey fryer," but I'm sure that's just because it was on an American base. I have no idea where to buy one, but they do exist...
Hmmmm, will see if I can track one down...

Back