Fermentation Temp Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inthebackwoods

Reaction score
Hey, I have been brewing all sorts of ales since December. I was looking at getting into some lagers, but I know that a lower fermentation temperature and more delicate fermentation techniques are usually required. I currently ferment in a closet that stays approx. 70F which is not ideal for lagers. Do you have any suggestions, that won't break the bank, for a fermentation temperature control system? Unfortunately, I live in an apartment, so this limits my space options.

I bought a mini-fridge on CL FOR $25 and a johnson digital temp controller for $62 delivered = ferm chamber for $87. I think there are threads for DIY temp controllers for a lot less, but this was quick & easy. Good luck!

A chest freezer off of Craigslist and a Johnson temp controller were the two things that helped my beer the most. I picked up a 10 cu ft freezer for $75 and the temp controller for $50 or $60. Great investment.

If you can find an upright freezer with removable shelves that would make using a conical easier. I could not find one that didn't have the coils in the shelves so I settled for the chest style.

Thanks for the advice. I may try the Son Of A Fermentation Chiller, but I'm not settled on it yet. Otherwise, my mini fridge will become a fermentation chamber.

Back