Hop infused simple syrup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prymal

Reaction score
Has anyone ever added hops to their bottling priming sugar solution? Bartenders and cooks make infused simple syrup all of the time just curious if anyone has tried it in their beer.

I dont think this would work very well for a few reasons:

Water is limited to about 100 IBU's, and the presence of sugar makes IBU extraction more difficult and less efficient. Also, simple syrups usually dont have very much volume, so if you were able to extract 100 IBU in it, when you dilluted it down in your batch you would end up with like 5 IBU (for a 1:20 dilution ratio).

Yes, I have done it a few times with good results. In the BYO mag. "Hop Lovers Guide" they tell you how to do this technique. The technique is called bottle hopping. It will add hop flavor to your beer but not bitterness. I took an ounce of hops in a hop bag, added that to my pot with two cups of water, and 3/4 cup of corn sugar in it. I brought it to a boil then shut off the flame and left the hops sit in the solution till it cooled. Once cooled I added it to my bottling bucket and bottled the batch of beer. Try it.

Yes, I have done it a few times with good results. In the BYO mag. "Hop Lovers Guide" they tell you how to do this technique. The technique is called bottle hopping. It will add hop flavor to your beer but not bitterness. I took an ounce of hops in a hop bag, added that to my pot with two cups of water, and 3/4 cup of corn sugar in it. I brought it to a boil then shut off the flame and left the hops sit in the solution till it cooled. Once cooled I added it to my bottling bucket and bottled the batch of beer. Try it.

How strong was the extra hop flavor that this contributed? I've an extra ounce of Sterling laying around, and I'm wondering what it'd be like to use it to hop the priming solution for an English dark mild I'm currently fermenting.

I'm a chef so I make infused simple syrups all the time. I was wondering the same except with different flavors. I'm actually gonna try it this with tangerine peels this week. How'd it turn out?

Back