DFH 120 minute clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6 hours after pitching... the bucket has a 6 liter starter of the dry english and the carboy has 1/3 gallon san diego super yeast slurry fron bm's centenial blonde. Krausen is already dropping so ill check gravity tomarrow evening. About 30 hours in now.
I ended up doing 5 oz of columbus every 5 minutes for the first 80 minutes and 6 simco5 and 6 amarillo every 3 minutes for the last 40. Smells so good!

2012-03-03_06-12-32_555.jpg

2012-03-03_06-12-03_40.jpg

2012-03-02_17-30-02_99.jpg

Just wanted to post a quick update about my batch.

I did the second of 5 planned stages of dryhopping yesterday. Added 0.9oz each Simcoe and Amarillo and 1.3 oz Citra. All my hops have been whole leaf, which has made dealing with this beer a bit of a pain. My brewing kettle got clogged so badly I had to scoop the wort out with a mug! Anyways, I've run out of hop bags to put my dry hops into, so I may end the dry hopping with 3 additions instead of 5. This will allow me to use the extra hops in a new brew this coming weekend.

Also, I noticed scottland said the reason he modified his recipe was to make a hoppier version of the 120. I think my goal is to come out somewhere close to the taste of 120, but just cutting down the sweetness somewhat. Therefore, I don't think the planned full amount of 1lb dry hops is really necessary. One more dry hop next week and I'll report on the taste test.

i have this seperated into two different vessels... 8 liter starter of 99 on the stir plate now...since one is 007 and one is 090 im thinking about maybe trying distillers super yeast with granulated suger in the smaller batch... any ideas or recomendations? I read its not good on the front end of fermentaation but maybe just to eat sugar on the backside additions?

Scooped up a couple. They wont be on the shelves long around here. $9.99 each is a bit much though.

My gravity has fallen to 1.008. Current ABV 14.6%. Going to keep it in the primary for another week.

Cheers.

image-2185856320.jpg

Looks like you had a successful brew day Kos, congrats.

Hopcop - that's a solid grab right there!

I have a 4.5 and 2.5 gallon batches... how do i figure the adjuatments wiht each sugar addition?

Looks like you had a successful brew day Kos, congrats.

Hopcop - that's a solid grab right there!

Not so successful brewday... wayundershot og but im new to all grain and newer to my own mill. I came in at 1.080 and ferm 1 is at 1.012 with 4.75 oz dex and ferm 2 is at 1.016 with 2lbs dex additions. Ferm 1 is 4.5 gallons and ferm 2 is 2.5 gallons

kosmokramer said:
Not so successful brewday... wayundershot og but im new to all grain and newer to my own mill. I came in at 1.080 and ferm 1 is at 1.012 with 4.75 oz dex and ferm 2 is at 1.016 with 2lbs dex additions. Ferm 1 is 4.5 gallons and ferm 2 is 2.5 gallons

I should be good though. You might not get the ABV but you likely won't have to worry about it finishing too sweet.

Where should i try and finish it at? Right now trying to keep it below 20. What value do the sugar additions add to 4.5 g, and 2.5g

kosmokramer said:
Where should i try and finish it at? Right now trying to keep it below 20. What value do the sugar additions add to 4.5 g, and 2.5g

From my calculations it looks like if you were adding 1# at a time to each it will be .010 per addition to you 4.5g fermenter and it would be .018 per addition for the 2.5g. If you go to hopville.com and click on the beer calculus it will give you all the info you would need to formulate recipes. It's free but not as good as beersmith. I use it and it seems to work fine for me. I just do a ton of reading to make up for the lack of the beer smith program.
Cheers.

it looks like the smaller batch crapped out early with only 3.5 pounds but the 4.5 gallon is still chuggin along but starting to slow some,,, its up to about 9.5 pounds right now i added 12 oz a lil while ago and it was at 1.014. tasted pretty bitter from the hops and pretty hot from the alcohol.
the smaller batch was at1.024 and didnt have the bitterness to it. Im guessing the higher gravity countered it??? is that where i should finish off the big one? where are you all leavin yours off?

actually... no reason... i guess,, i wanted to watch one ferment in a carboy is why i did it originally... once i did that pitched 007 in one and 090 in the other, san diego super yeast is not very super by the way, 007 had it from 1.1080 to 1.020 in about 40 hours where the san super was at 1.04.
i was just keeping them seperate at this point to keep my high abv and my super hi abv for comparison

So.... I am about to dry hop, but I had to do a small bottle force carbonated and slightly chilled to let me know what that's gonna be like later...... here we go..... my first glass.......

At first smell, it seems more like Avery's The Beast grand cru at first. Definately has some raison or fig going on here

Appearance. It's an almost clarified, darker than IPA, not quite amber ale colored. The head was only a few milimeters for the first 1 minute, and while it isn't as boozey as 120 minute or the Beast, I like it just as much. Thats a pleasant surprise, becuase I spent almost $200 on this batch, and was really worried after I found that extract doesn't ferment as dry as a full grain, cooler, longer mash could have.

I am being critical though....

There is little carbonation in this glass, I didn't chill it down very much to carb with a carbonation cap, though what I have is a great comparrison for what might be... I love this thing!!!!!!

The taste... is complex. not too forward, its mostly in the afternote that you realize how many flavors evolved. I first find the smell of fig carried by the alcohol, with a body of creme bruele, and mild berries, which makes it through to the tongue, though the alcohol's taste is stronger than the other flavors at the first moment, but the hops take over so quickly that it isn't overwhelming. after the flavors start to fade, the more fine less isomerized hop flavors start to come out, about 10 seconds after the first taste. At 15 seconds, there is greasy feeling, as I realize exactly how much hash is in this beer. per 8 ounces there are 22 miligrams thc, which isnt strong exactly... but any stronger and this beer woudl taste like hash to start.

I was about to say, I want to send a few samples out to others for testing... but.... that would be drug trafficking because it has medical marijuana in it..... Dang.... guess my local homebrew club will have to be my testing ground... Boulder co 4th saturday of the month at masons lodge on broadway....

I was about to say, I want to send a few samples out to others for testing... but.... that would be drug trafficking because it has medical marijuana in it..... Dang.... guess my local homebrew club will have to be my testing ground... Boulder co 4th saturday of the month at masons lodge on broadway....

:eek:

I missed this part of your recipe, or maybe I just forgot about it - lol. That's an interesting addition for a 120, a one stop shop for some I suppose.

Good tasting notes Brad, sounds like a pretty beastly concoction. Just wait till you get some upfront nose on it from the DH, I'm sure that will set it off.

Kosmo - as for finishing, it's really on your tastes and what you prefer, how much sweetness you really want. As previously discussed most of us in here that have brewed this beer before unanimously agree that it would be better finished at a very low gravity <=1.010 however .010 seems to be the standard goal for everyone's altered uber hoppy recipes - it defnintely is for mine and I think BB or one of the guys for sure had reached .008 which is a fantastic finish, I'll have to read back a page or 2 to be sure who. At this point I would probably stop adding sugar and maybe add some yeast chow, try to keep them going. With that amount of sugar in each batch you're going to be fighting to the end to get that gravity down but it seems possible.

I'm thinking about brewing tonight, I'm just so damn lazy these days! I need to get my dry hops going in my 120, I've got 4 buckets of booze laying around that need bottled, some over 6 months in lol, AND I ordered everything I needed for a Franziskaner clone earlier this week that will probably be arriving today or tomorrow - my citra pale ale is still on deck. Why! Why am I so lazy!!!!!!

Anyone else brewing tonight? maybe if I have someone to go back and forth with on here it will motivate me to turn this evening into a yeast's dinner royal.

Im just as lazy,, i have a pliny clone crashing for a week, i need to dryhop that sucker and so many ingredients i need to use,,, i have a final do this weekend so think i need to try and not concentrate on beer :(

Jsmith82 said:
Anyone else brewing tonight? maybe if I have someone to go back and forth with on here it will motivate me to turn this evening into a yeast's dinner royal.

I was going to brew my attempt at the Ruthless Rye Clone tonight but the wife reminded me I have 3 5gal buckets already. I should bottle 2 of them but haven't had the time. I love brewing, kinda need motivation to bottle. Although the final product has come out better with my lazy attitude for the bottling. So I guess there is a plus side :)

I am horrible about bottling. But it does make for some well aged beers lol. Not so good for an IPA though, I like to capture those up in a bottle ASAP. I need kegging supplies :mad:

bottlebomber said:
I am horrible about bottling. But it does make for some well aged beers lol. Not so good for an IPA though, I like to capture those up in a bottle ASAP. I need kegging supplies :mad:

+1 I always bottle my IPA on the 4 week mark. I would like a keg system but there is just something about hearing that hiss when opening that bottle.

+1 I always bottle my IPA on the 4 week mark. I would like a keg system but there is just something about hearing that hiss when opening that bottle.

Nothing compared to the look on someones face when they walk through the door and see a huge keezer in the middle of the kitchen, tomarrow my 5 tap t-tower goes on. I have only bottled like 10 beers in the year ive been brewing and it is a pain. it even takes work to motivate myself to keg and thats only one vessel to clean...lol

Racked to secondary yesterday. Crystal clear and tastes awesome. Very complex. Finished at 1.008 equals 14.6%ABV. I'm very happy with this brew. If it carbs up I will be brewing this twice a year.

Cheers.

image-1839698904.jpg

2012-03-14184133.jpg

2012-03-14184249.jpg

1.014 Finish... Damn, so close!

I've got it gauged at 15.7% and let me tell you, WOW. The sample was absolutely fantastic, fantastic. The bitterness has mellowed and balanced, I'm very impressed by the difference. I dropped 3oz in last night, 2 Cascade and 1 Simcoe. Next week will be 2 Centennial and 1 Citra. Week after that, we're going to bottles..

Has anybody ever carbed up using champagne yeast before? I have not, if somebody wants to give me a crash course this will probably be my only route for carbonation being almost 16%.

Jsmith82 said:
Has anybody ever carbed up using champagne yeast before? I have not, if somebody wants to give me a crash course this will probably be my only route for carbonation being almost 16%.

I'm going to be in the same boat. I think you add the champagne yeast in the bottling bucket. Rack on top and add your priming sugar. That's what I've researched but still not very clear. I've asked a few times on other threads but no response. I'm going to ask my lhbs on Saturday. I'm brewing up a Conways Irish Ale clone. I will report back on what they say for the process.

Very nice looking brew by the way.

Cheers

hopcop said:
I'm going to be in the same boat. I think you add the champagne yeast in the bottling bucket. Rack on top and add your priming sugar. That's what I've researched but still not very clear. I've asked a few times on other threads but no response. I'm going to ask my lhbs on Saturday. I'm brewing up a Conways Irish Ale clone. I will report back on what they say for the process.

Very nice looking brew by the way.

Cheers

I haven't made this beer yet, but do you really need to add more yeast?

tom_gamer said:
I haven't made this beer yet, but do you really need to add more yeast?

+1 to scottland. A beer with this high of alcohol is toxic to the yeast. Plus the yeast will be pretty stressed out at this point so you have to introduce a fresh yeast that can hold up to the present alcohol. Champagne yeast will do that without introducing any new flavor profiles. This beer really should be kegged but some of us rely on bottle conditioning. Plus this beer really shouldnt have too much carbonation since its more like a liquor.

2012-03-14184133.jpg

2012-03-14184249.jpg

1.014 Finish... Damn, so close!

I've got it gauged at 15.7% and let me tell you, WOW. The sample was absolutely fantastic, fantastic. The bitterness has mellowed and balanced, I'm very impressed by the difference. I dropped 3oz in last night, 2 Cascade and 1 Simcoe. Next week will be 2 Centennial and 1 Citra. Week after that, we're going to bottles..

I must say i think i got the best of both worlds. My 2.5 gallon batch crapped out early at about 14.5 abv and was bubbling still a couple days ago at 1.014 and my 4.5 gallon batch got all the way up to about 23.5 and was at 1.012 and still dropping. That sample tasted great! Alot of alcohol but alot of sweet and alot of bitter. It tastes really well balanced. Cant wait try that first pour. What level of carb should i set this to. I keg and will force carb and bottle. Think i may get a beergun just for this batch

I must say i think i got the best of both worlds. My 2.5 gallon batch crapped out early at about 14.5 abv and was bubbling still a couple days ago at 1.014 and my 4.5 gallon batch got all the way up to about 23.5 and was at 1.012 and still dropping. That sample tasted great! Alot of alcohol but alot of sweet and alot of bitter. It tastes really well balanced. Cant wait try that first pour. What level of carb should i set this to. I keg and will force carb and bottle. Think i may get a beergun just for this batch

Look at my profile, then my buddy list. There should be a guy on there named Smuth10. Send him a note, let him know I told you to do so if you like. He kegged his 120 and could probably offer up good advice on where to set everything.

Well guys, I started up a topic looking for direction on how to carb with champer yeast and first reply back I had made a valid point - if the yeast fermented the beer to that ABV, it should be able to carb it. Honestly I had my head set on using the champ but now I'm not so sure, the thought has been planted and its made me indecisive.

I read another topic Revvy had posted in stating a beer of this caliber can carb with just sugar, he recommended actually setting the beers on their side once a week and rolling them a couple times to rouse the yeast.

Here's my problem, this is a !@#$ing expensive beer! I want the best results possible, no room for experimental errors. Anybody want to talk me off this ledge? Thoughts?

Adding more yeast is not going to harm it, all they can do is eat the sugar you add. So why not be safe and add the extra pack of yeast.

Well guys, I started up a topic looking for direction on how to carb with champer yeast and first reply back I had made a valid point - if the yeast fermented the beer to that ABV, it should be able to carb it. Honestly I had my head set on using the champ but now I'm not so sure, the thought has been planted and its made me indecisive.

I read another topic Revvy had posted in stating a beer of this caliber can carb with just sugar, he recommended actually setting the beers on their side once a week and rolling them a couple times to rouse the yeast.

Here's my problem, this is a !@#$ing expensive beer! I want the best results possible, no room for experimental errors. Anybody want to talk me off this ledge? Thoughts?

I think it sounds like the perfect time to by a kegging setup! Too bad you not local, i have an extra corny and co2 tank i coulda loaned u for a couple weeks

If a kegging system is not in your budget, maybe you could ask a friend that has one for a favor. You could keg it over their house until it is carbed and then bottle it right from the tap. Just a thought

Stop it!!! Stop it now or I'll tell my wife what city you're in!! lol

You've got me looking at kegging setups, way to go fellas... Don't know how I'll swing this one by the boss but I'm looking......

Good point by the way Beerman.

Jsmith82 said:
Stop it!!! Stop it now or I'll tell my wife what city you're in!! lol

You've got me looking at kegging setups, way to go fellas... Don't know how I'll swing this one by the boss but I'm looking......

Good point by the way Beerman.

It's easier to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

I caved.

Wish me luck guys, I'm on my way home now and I'll be telling SWMBO about my new 5 gallon brew logic single tap draft system that will be arriving next week, damnit if this isn't the perfect beer to break in my first kegged homebrew!

Keg_Strength+=1

Level 5 Brewer achieved.

Jsmith82 said:
my new 5 gallon brew logic single tap draft system that will.

Fun!
I'd call them quick and make it a two or three tap system instead bc how quick are you going to run thru 15% abv beer?
You will want a chaser ;)

Fun!
I'd call them quick and make it a two or three tap system instead bc how quick are you going to run thru 15% abv beer?
You will want a chaser ;)

I need to live through this purchase first :ban:

I see additonal Kegs and hardware on the horizon...

Im gllad i could contribute to this. Really put a smile on my face. But seriously, kegging is so much easier

Back