Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last minute smoke today. Boston butt rubbed 2 to 1, sugar to salt and hickory/cherry mixed. 275 whole way. At 190 now.

Is there a difference between the two? Why is one so much darker?

Yes. One had brown sugar in the cure and one was straight cure just for variety.

cold smoked? Where'd you get the rack from? I've been wanting to do this with my wsm, so I'm pumped to hear back

Yes. I got mine from Amazon but I heard Weber discontinued them. There are knock offs that might work. YMMV. https://www.gatewaydrumsmokers.com/category-s/131.htm

Here's how to do it: http://virtualweberbullet.com/making-bacon-using-pork-belly.html

Salmon! Fresh sockeye caught this year in the river out our back door. After skinning and de-boning, I cut the fish into small pieces so the brine and smoke have more surface area to flavor the fish. A wet (teriyaki sauce base) brine for a few hours, air dry to form a pellicle and then a couple hours of smoke.

63E8Fd.jpg

My parents are hosting a big family get together all weekend and I’m bringing two smoked butts tomorrow (which cost a whopping $30 together) and making my grilled ratatouille with our garden veggies.

It’s kinda the result of my own trial and error. I’d be curious to see the Lilly recipe - I can’t seem to find it on teh Google.

Its the GF or Spouse of a Homebrewtalk member. This is an old HBT abbreviation. Dating back to 2006.

Someone Who Must Be Obeyed.

Kind of a joke, patronizing the significant other. Go along, to get along or something like that. It goes with the thought of, try to make her happy, so she will not get pissed off about my ongoing brewing obsession. Its also a way to not cite them by name.

I did this the other night.

Mesquite Smoked Beef Chuck Pot Roast. I slathered the roast with horseradish and then covered it with fresh cracked black pepper and dusted it with some Goya adobo seasoning.

Smoked it about three hours on the mesquite.

Then the next morning, dropped it the crock pot with garlic, potatoes, onion wedges, baby carrots and celery. Cooked on low for 8 hours.

It's damn tasty and the vegges picked up the smokey mesquite favor.

Of course no smoked dish should be served without a good rauchbier.

Schlenkerla Marzen is my fall favorite.

View attachment 1509246554666.jpg

Getting some butt ready for tomorrow. Going to do my first hot & fast, planning on running the smoker about 300 or so, putting the meat on at 7 AM, and pulling it around 3-4ish. Hope it works, because I'm supposed to be going with the entire family (and some extended family) with the kids to a pumpkin patch at 4!!!

Pic in B&W because I got tagged in some stupid challenge on FB/IG, so the only posted picture I have of it is B&W...

22858210_1649045421805109_4534835636024115200_n.jpg

Getting some butt ready for tomorrow. Going to do my first hot & fast, planning on running the smoker about 300 or so, putting the meat on at 7 AM, and pulling it around 3-4ish. Hope it works, because I'm supposed to be going with the entire family (and some extended family) with the kids to a pumpkin patch at 4!!!

Pic in B&W because I got tagged in some stupid challenge on FB/IG, so the only posted picture I have of it is B&W...

Boilermaker Special? - Already looks burnt.... You use a blackened rub?? - LOL :D

I'd be ok if that was all cracked black pepper. Maybe you used ground up morita pepper in your rub?

That actually might be good with fresh pressed garlic, brown sugar, salt, and a ground/milled chili pepper in a rub.

@275 butts take 7 to 8 hours in my e smoker. At 350ish they take 3 or 4 hours. Hot and fast to me is 350 degrees and up, so 300 is a nice middle of the road. Not to fast, not to slow. As you saw before I direct cooked a pork butt and if I would have slid it over indirectly a little earlier it would have been amazing. Pumpkin patch sounds awesome and is definitely worth a quick smoke imo. Cant wait to see how it turns out.

Boilermaker Special? - Already looks burnt.... You use a blackened rub?? - LOL :D

I'd be ok if that was all cracked black pepper. Maybe you used ground up morita pepper in your rub?

That actually might be good with fresh pressed garlic, brown sugar, salt, and a ground/milled chili pepper in a rub.

I used some John Henry's Honey Rib Rub, and when I ran out of that, threw some Meat Church Holy Cow on it. It actually worked out really nicely. When my girlfriend tried a bit of the bark, she thought it was a bit spicy, but given the low bark:meat ratio, it blended really nicely into the pork and the end product wasn't spicy.

@275 butts take 7 to 8 hours in my e smoker. At 350ish they take 3 or 4 hours. Hot and fast to me is 350 degrees and up, so 300 is a nice middle of the road. Not to fast, not to slow. As you saw before I direct cooked a pork butt and if I would have slid it over indirectly a little earlier it would have been amazing. Pumpkin patch sounds awesome and is definitely worth a quick smoke imo. Cant wait to see how it turns out.

Well, I forgot to take pictures of the "after". But my girlfriend's cousin said it was the best pulled pork he's ever eaten. I think I even saw a tear fall from his eye lol... I suppose that's good praise.

It actually didn't work out how I planned, either. I was intending to roll at 300, but I got the fire too hot too quickly, and during the cook it was creeping up from 300 to about 360-370 at the very end. I actually took two 8# butts off after only 5 hours, and then let them rest in towels in a cooler until dinnertime (about 6:30), but they were still hot.

All in all, though, I was very pleased. While I may not repeat the 350+ temps, I'm not likely to do butts again at 225. It's too stressful to hold those temps in the smoker overnight, and clearly based upon the result, didn't negatively impact the quality.

Cold Smoking a block of cheddar, whole chopped up log of summer sausage, and tonight's pasta that's already in a bacon tomato sauce.

Been watching a lot of Turkey smoking vids. Contemplating getting an amzn pellet smoker for my mes. Any mes owners do this? Your experience? Worth it? Why use that instead of the built in chip tray?

Butchered 16lbs of Ribeye from Costco. Grilled 2 & put 13 vac sealed steaks in the deep freeze. Good flavor as usual from Costco; better than you’ll find at most places. Gets to be a PITA to find better stuff although almost always worth it

OrLMHHf.jpg

Been watching a lot of Turkey smoking vids. Contemplating getting an amzn pellet smoker for my mes. Any mes owners do this? Your experience? Worth it? Why use that instead of the built in chip tray?

Kev I recently bought the cold smoker attachment for my mes.It does a great job with the smoker turned off as a cold smoker. I did several bricks of cheese and the smoker never got over 70 degrees . It was in the 50s that day. it produces a lot of smoke and the chips last a long time. You can also use it with the main smoker heated at any temp.Its well built as most Masterbuilt products are. Its $ 51 or so on amazon .You might want to check it out.

I have one and have a little trouble keeping it lit, but I'm about 80% sure that is due to my elevation (Denver). If you're at sea level, I'd give it a shot. I prefer it over the chip tray because it runs for hours. I also had a problem where the chips would only smoke if the element was on. The AMZN smoker works regardless.

I have one and have a little trouble keeping it lit, but I'm about 80% sure that is due to my elevation (Denver). If you're at sea level, I'd give it a shot. I prefer it over the chip tray because it runs for hours. I also had a problem where the chips would only smoke if the element was on. The AMZN smoker works regardless.

I'm about 50feet above sea level haha. My understanding is that I should pull out the chip tray, as it's not needed (obviously). Where do I put the amazen ps? I figure it needs to be on/near the heating element right? So can I not use the water pan if that's the case? I'm a little skeptical of the thing, but I get a little tired of constantly replacing chips in the smoker (plus, chips get expensive)

Brining a practice Turkey for tomorrow night. Usually my mom or sister does roasted turkey for Thanksgiving, but if this turns out well, I may pack the smoker and insist on cooking one for the big day, even if it's the alternate that everyone raves about and gets me dirty looks from mom and sis.

Brining a practice Turkey for tomorrow night. Usually my mom or sister does roasted turkey for Thanksgiving, but if this turns out well, I may pack the smoker and insist on cooking one for the big day, even if it's the alternate that everyone raves about and gets me dirty looks from mom and sis.

:off:

Ha - If you really want to get dirty looks fry the bird! While I like to smoke a lot of foods I have always found fried turkey superior to smoked versions. My favorite part is skin and the smoked version just doesn't cut it in that department.

Either way it will probably be better than the oven roasted version. Let us know how it turns out.

From my own personal experience, I'd be careful about brining a commercial, frozen turkey. I did that to a whole turkey breast about four years ago, and the meat was EXTREMELY salty. All of the commercial frozen birds and breasts are already injected with saline solution. A fresh bird is a whole different matter!

glenn514:mug:

P.S. I am deep-frying TWO birds on Thanksgiving Day. I will inject both of them with a delicious homemade marinade that includes BEER before frying.

:off:

Ha - If you really want to get dirty looks fry the bird! While I like to smoke a lot of foods I have always found fried turkey superior to smoked versions. My favorite part is skin and the smoked version just doesn't cut it in that department.

Either way it will probably be better than the oven roasted version. Let us know how it turns out.

I either do a rotisserie bird or fry them. I have a ronco that works pretty damn good.

From my own personal experience, I'd be careful about brining a commercial, frozen turkey. I did that to a whole turkey breast about four years ago, and the meat was EXTREMELY salty. All of the commercial frozen birds and breasts are already injected with saline solution. A fresh bird is a whole different matter!

P.S. I am deep-frying TWO birds on Thanksgiving Day. I will inject both of them with a delicious homemade marinade that includes BEER before frying.

Frying is the best taste wise and it's never dry. I like the crispy skin too. I don't like having to mess with the oil later.

I used to try and seek out fresh birds every year so I could brine them. About 5 years ago I couldn't find a fresh one so I grabbed a butterball and just threw it on the smoker. It came out fantastic! Now, I don't even bother hunting down a fresh one. I just smoke the store bought ones every year and they're always a big hit. To be honest, I prefer a smoked bird to a fried one. It comes out plenty juicy and for my personal taste, you can't beat that hint of smoke.

I believe the commercial frozen birds use the injected saline solution so they can call themselves "self-basting." While I have never roasted a fresh bird, I do understand that they need basting about every thirty minutes.

My experience with brined birds is definitely limited, but one over-salty turkey breast was enough to convince me NOT to brine frozen birds. Fresh birds are a totally different matter.

glenn514:mug: [looking forward to frying TWO 16+ pound birds and making "stuffing balls," for Thanksgiving at my daughter and son-in-law's]

Back