Keezer fan for dummies project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pretzelb

Reaction score
Anyone have a link to a how-to guide for hooking up a cpu fan to a keezer? The closest I have is this stirplate project. What makes this better than most is it has details on what wire goes where. Ideally I'd like even more detail to the point where I could take a part list to Radio Shack and have something that tells me exactly which wire goes where (not just pictures). I have never done any soldering or any electrical project so if there is something geared for the 8 year old that would be perfect for me.

The reason why I'm asking is I just got my 4th keg in my keezer and it sits on the hump and I think it's much warmer than the others. My hope is adding a fan to blow cool air around will help dramatically. If I'm wrong, let me know.

I may have found a non-diy solution. This site has solutions for home theaters that should work nicely. The 110v AC to 12v DC should work well. I am tempted by the controller options but last I looked everyone ran their fans constantly so maybe it's not necessary to have a controller.

I made my own and it is very easy. Here is what you need:
12v DC adapter (i used one lying around from something else) - Free
12v PC fan (I used a 70mm fan I got off newegg) - $4.99
Project Enclosure from radio shack (I think mine was 6x4x2) - $6.49+tax
Ideal 32 Red In-Sure 2-Port Connector from home depot (and some electrical tape is recommended) - $1.79+tax
1" hose or pvc - prices vary depending what you get
You will obviously need a hole saw or dremel, something to make a hole on the front around 2-1/2" and 1" on side.

First thing you need to do is splice the wires of the fan and DC adapter. You can use this website to help figure out which are the negative and positive wires. Connect them to the negative and positive on the DC adapter respectively and test it to make sure it works.
Drill big hole for fan and screw in, making sure fan is the right way (pulls air).
Drill small hole on side for tube.
Drill a very small hole on another side and feed the dc adapter wires through.
Inside the box use the 2-port connectors to connect the wires, and use electrical tape to make sure the stay on.
Then just re-attach the back plate, plug it in, and put the tube where you want.

I made my own and it is very easy. Here is what you need:
12v DC adapter (i used one lying around from something else) - Free
12v PC fan (I used a 70mm fan I got off newegg) - $4.99
Project Enclosure from radio shack (I think mine was 6x4x2) - $6.49+tax
Ideal 32 Red In-Sure 2-Port Connector from home depot (and some electrical tape is recommended) - $1.79+tax
1" hose or pvc - prices vary depending what you get
You will obviously need a hole saw or dremel, something to make a hole on the front around 2-1/2" and 1" on side.

First thing you need to do is splice the wires of the fan and DC adapter. You can use this website to help figure out which are the negative and positive wires. Connect them to the negative and positive on the DC adapter respectively and test it to make sure it works.
Drill big hole for fan and screw in, making sure fan is the right way (pulls air).
Drill small hole on side for tube.
Drill a very small hole on another side and feed the dc adapter wires through.
Inside the box use the 2-port connectors to connect the wires, and use electrical tape to make sure the stay on.
Then just re-attach the back plate, plug it in, and put the tube where you want.

That will work if you want to make it ridiculously complicated, but a much simpler way is just stripping the ends of your power supply wires and the fan wires and twisting them together with wire nuts.

The power supply doesn't have to be 12V, 9V or even lower should work. Look through your junk drawer and see what old wall warts you have in there from a junked cordless phone or something. No worries about shocking yourself or any other danger with low DC voltage.

No, it doesn't need to be. Most of us use lower than 12V on our 12V fans, I think I have mine on a 9V supply. It works fine. I'm not looking to create a wind tunnel in my keezer, just keep the air moving a bit.

zachattack said:
No, it doesn't need to be. Most of us use lower than 12V on our 12V fans, I think I have mine on a 9V supply. It works fine. I'm not looking to create a wind tunnel in my keezer, just keep the air moving a bit.

Exactly. If you have. 12v fan and a 9v supply, the fan will just rotate slower. The fan speed is dictated by the supply.

Back