1 liter crown cap glass bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arley

Reaction score
I notice that a few products are available in 1 liter glass bottles with a crown cap...for instance, San Pellegrino mineral water bottles some of its water in 1 liter bottles with a crown cap. So does an Austrian wine, Berger Gruner Veltliner. So large crown cap bottles do exist.

Are there any adventurous souls who have tried using these bottles to bottle homebrew?

Or, are there any sources for empty large-volume crown cap bottles? I know that domestic champagne bottles may be used, but I don't see much advantage for them over a 22 oz. bomber.... Obviously you wouldn't want to bottle strong ales or barleywines in such a big bottle, but I'm thinking lighter session brews might do well, and you'd only have to fill about 18 or 20 bottles for a 5 gallon batch.

Yes, I know they're green but I'd age the bottled beer inside a cardboard box.

They'd be fine for wine, but if you're not buying something that's carbonated in it then it's not likely to be made to handle the pressure. You'd likely have bottle bombs.

Back