Grizzly sausage stuffer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flboy

Reaction score
Found this in an old thread,
http://www.grizzly.com/products/5-lb-Sausage-Stuffer-Vertical/H6252
Am just starting out, unit looks good, yes?

image.jpg

That's the same exact unit I've used for the past 6 months and it's a quality piece. People complain about the plastic gear, but it's a pretty damn hefty part if I say so. Just don't be a jack a$$ and keep cranking when it won't let you and it'll last you a good long time. Here's some of the stuff I've pushed through it.

20141228_203302.jpg

20141118_010512.jpg

20141228_133003.jpg

20140922_072001.jpg

We bought the LEM version of that which has metal gears. Used it for the first time yesterday with great success! Not bad for a first go at it, if I do say so myself! :D

We used the grinder attachment for the Kitchenaid stand mixer to do the grinding of the meats, you can see the parts for that apparatus in the background.

Texas Hot Links 2-8-15.jpg

I've heard that complaint about plastic or nylon gears.My stuffer is all metal gears, but seriously if you stop cranking when it feels like it's at the end it should be fine.Who are these people that just keep on cranking when it stops?

Ordered the 15# Grizzly the other day. KitchenAid was just not doing it. Too much effort and meat texture too mushy.

Get the LEM with the metal gears. I had a Cabelas stuffer with nylon gears and had to keep an extra set or two on hand at all times cause the damn things would break right in the middle of a tub of meat. I eventually sold it and got the LEM 5 lbs. Great stuffer. Amazon had them for a great price.

I understand it's the same unit and you can get the metal gears as a replacement part from LEM.

I've made a bunch of sausage with that Grizzly stuffer. I can't imagine that gear breaking - it's pretty beefy.

Here's an action video. My son and his friend stuffing with the Grizzly a few years ago. Looks like Boudin Blanc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Andrew, I love that video, and it was part of the impetus for us making our own sausages - after viewing that on YouTube (and I'm not sure how I originally found it) KOTC and I decided to buy that stuffer and have a go!

Princess Auto sells the same series of stuffers. I bought the smallest one a few years back and have been really happy with its performance.

I was a little worried about the plastic gears but figured I would deal with it IF it became an issue. It has not been.

One thing I did do, was to make a smaller tube adapter. I used some thin wall tubing and a block of nylon turned to size on a metal lathe (its GOOD to have some tools to use! :) ) to fit, and now I can stuff the smaller size collagen casings for meat sticks.

As long as the guy on the crank does not go all gorilla on it, I do not see the gear giving out any time soon. Like as not, I will grab the pieces and cast a replacement of aluminum, if it does.

TeeJo

Princess Auto sells the same series of stuffers. I bought the smallest one a few years back and have been really happy with its performance.

I was a little worried about the plastic gears but figured I would deal with it IF it became an issue. It has not been.

One thing I did do, was to make a smaller tube adapter. I used some thin wall tubing and a block of nylon turned to size on a metal lathe (its GOOD to have some tools to use! :) ) to fit, and now I can stuff the smaller size collagen casings for meat sticks.

As long as the guy on the crank does not go all gorilla on it, I do not see the gear giving out any time soon. Like as not, I will grab the pieces and cast a replacement of aluminum, if it does.

TeeJo

Mine came with 2 or 3 stuffer sizes. One of them was for smaller sheep casings (e.g., hot dogs).

Mine too, but it didn't come with one small enough to fit the snack stick sized casings I wanted to use. What it came with was Medium, Large, and Larger. I wanted small, and was unwilling to pay the $50 that the local Sports store wanted for a narrow stuffer tube.

The natural casings are wet and pliable when used, and can be slid onto a tube that is darn near the finished size, if you want, while the collagen ones have to stay dry until you stuff them, and have a pretty small passageway through the middle of the section.

IIRC I ended up with a piece of 20 thou wall thickness, 1/2 inch OD pipe, long enough to slide an entire section of collagen casing onto with some room to spare. 8 inches maybe, total length.

About all I would do different is to make up a small nylon plunger to push the remainder of the meat out of the tube with, when cleaning up. Awkward to have to ram a wad of paper towel through the tube with a bamboo skewer. Minor.

TeeJo

Mine too, but it didn't come with one small enough to fit the snack stick sized casings I wanted to use. What it came with was Medium, Large, and Larger. I wanted small, and was unwilling to pay the $50 that the local Sports store wanted for a narrow stuffer tube.

The natural casings are wet and pliable when used, and can be slid onto a tube that is darn near the finished size, if you want, while the collagen ones have to stay dry until you stuff them, and have a pretty small passageway through the middle of the section.

IIRC I ended up with a piece of 20 thou wall thickness, 1/2 inch OD pipe, long enough to slide an entire section of collagen casing onto with some room to spare. 8 inches maybe, total length.

About all I would do different is to make up a small nylon plunger to push the remainder of the meat out of the tube with, when cleaning up. Awkward to have to ram a wad of paper towel through the tube with a bamboo skewer. Minor.

TeeJo

I've used collagen. I thought they had a great snap. I'd use again. They break a lot easier while twisting sausages though. Have to be careful with them.

Allied Kenco has 12 mm-1/2" stuffing tubes $13-$20 in plastic, aluminum or stainless. LEM has 17 mm edible collagen casings.Those are the smallest I've found .I like snack sticks in smaller dia. ,and these work well for that.

Back