Recipe / Technique book for smoking?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aangel

Reaction score
Hi, I (like at least a few others here) got a Masterbuilt electric smoker for Christmas and am now looking for resources on how to properly smoke. I tried out a pair of turkey thighs as my first recipe, using a salt/sugar brine then creole rub (garlic, onion, salt, paprika, cayenne, oregano, etc). I then followed the included instructions and smoked with cherry wood at 200*F for 5 hours...getting incredibly leathery skin. So, realizing I don't know almost anything, I'm looking for resources on smoking techniques.

Anyone know some good books?

I recently got this one Slow Fire and it's pretty good. Lots of interesting recipes and some good recipes for rubs.

A good website, especially if you just got a new MasterBuilt Electric Smoker (otherwise known as an MES), is www.smokingmeatforums.com/ There's a section dedicated to Electric and quite a few threads on and for the MES. In particular How Many Mes Owners Here?

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
Try smoking in paper bags for the majority of the time, taking the, out for the last hour or so.

If you like poultry skin crispy, after smoking it either crank up the temp of your smoker, throw it on a hot grill, or throw it in a hot oven to crisp the skin. Low and skin = rubbery

Thx for the advice everyone. My MES can only hit 275 degrees so I definitely have to finish these in the oven. I've realized that it's really internal temperature that matters, not prescribed time....at least with poultry. Did a turkey this weekend at 275, took only 2 hours to hit 165 internally then finished in the oven at 400 for about 10 minutes. Very juicy bird, and I was less aggressive with the wood chips so everyone liked it a fair bit more than my last few attempts.

Back