Raging *****

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I liked that beer a lot too. Flying Dog doesn't have a ton of beers that I love enough to get on a regular basis, but this one is definitely one that I'll come back to, one of their better releases I've ever tried. Also liked Stone's Cali-Belgique, in the same style.

I thought that Raging ***** was better than Cali-Belgique, but I'm not that into Stone anymore and so my opinion is probably biased :)

Which reminds me, I brought over my last bottle to my father in law's and I'm not sure we ever drank it.

I thought that Raging ***** was better than Cali-Belgique, but I'm not that into Stone anymore and so my opinion is probably biased :)

Which reminds me, I brought over my last bottle to my father in law's and I'm not sure we ever drank it.

Umm...not that into Stone?? And why might I ask? Few beers can rival the quality. Although, the afformentioned Raging ***** is quite good. I just tasted for the first time, and I'm looking for a clone recipe.

Not a big fan of this one. Like the concept and respect the attempt at a "belgium style" IPA but not for me. Obviously high quality beer but I would not buy again. Also not so much into the Stone beers either anymore. Along with Rogue totally overpriced and overrated IMO. While I am being negative, I cant stand flying dog's graphics as well.

Not a big fan of this one. Like the concept and respect the attempt at a "belgium style" IPA but not for me. Obviously high quality beer but I would not buy again. Also not so much into the Stone beers either anymore. Along with Rogue totally overpriced and overrated IMO. While I am being negative, I cant stand flying dog's graphics as well.

Overpriced, yes. Overrated, no. I never really liked the Rogue line to begin with. And Flying Dog's graphics are a bit off the wall, but nevertheless, this is a very good beer. Belgians and IPAs are really all I like to drink anymore. This allows me to have the best of both worlds.

Not a big fan of this one.

I'm with you on this one. The bitterness and/or astringency are too harsh. I think there's a bit of tweaking that can benefit this particular label. However, there's been a huge positive reaction everywhere I turn, so I suppose the adage "taste can not be disputed" has to be the axiom here.

I just bought a 6 pack of this as a huge fan of the style and realized my Belgian Pale Ale is quite similar to this. I'm not going to say the same or that this is a clone, and I haven't been able to put my finger on it yet, though mine tastes a lil maltier. For what its worth...

Fiddle Barn Belgian Pale Ale
6 lbs organic light LME
3 lbs organic light DME
Summit Hops
Belgian Schelde Yeast

Summit Hop Schedule:
1 oz 60 min
1 oz 45 min
1 oz 30 min
1 oz 20 min + add DME
1 oz 5 min
1 oz dry hopped

The total volume of this recipe ended up at 4 gallons accidentally which made it more alcoholic but um, this beer is unbelievably delicious and I think thats ok. It also put it ~ the same ABV%.

While I am being negative, I cant stand flying dog's graphics as well.

The graphics are by Ralph Steadman, the guy who was friends with Hunter S. Thompson and illustrated Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and other stuff by Thompson. I bet there's been people at the beer store who saw the labels and said "Dude, that's Fear and Loathing/Ralph Steadman artwork" and bought it just for that.

I like what Stone has done for Craft Brewing, and I think they are a great measuring stick for gauging other breweries. Otherwise I completely agree.

Point being, Raging ***** defies those claiming that it's hard to blend a West Coast IPA w/ a Belgian yeast strain and not overwhelm the Belgian yeast character.

It's not my favorite beer, but it's one I just can't do w/. And I think it should be considered the benchmark of a recognized style.

Latest posts

Back