Dropped my carboy of Apfelwein!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyc

Reaction score
I was carrying my 3 gallon better bottle of cider down the stairs and I missed a step. I was one step from the bottom and launched the carboy to the hardwood floor. The air lock didn't fly off immediately but it did shortly after. I lost about a quart of cider but quickly put the stopper back on and got it upright. I'm not sure how much oxidation affects cider but since I just pitched the yeast the day before I'm not that worried either way. What do you guys think?

Oh yeah and the airlock went nuts later in the day and stayed active til I went to bed.

From what I've read here, you shouldn't worry about
Oxygenation during ferment because it will be used up
by the Yeast. (It's oxygenated then anyways)

I'm sure they weren't referring to pitching the carboy
through the air, but....

=)

Oxidation isn't a problem with cider. I think you made a good choice using Better Bottles.

Oxidation isn't a problem with cider. I think you made a good choice using Better Bottles.

Did you know the 3 gallon ones are square? I went w/ a better bottle on this one b/c I had to put it on shelf in a bathroom closet but later the same day the wife said the apple smell was overpowering every time she opened the closet door. So down the stairs and all over the floor it went.

Wow, seriously happy ending to what I was expected to be an ER visit story. Yeah, this early in the process you actually helped it out by dropping it haha. Aeration is good in the beginning as it provides more oxygen for the yeast, which they need to reproduce. Did you top it back off with more juice?

Wow, seriously happy ending to what I was expected to be an ER visit story. Yeah, this early in the process you actually helped it out by dropping it haha. Aeration is good in the beginning as it provides more oxygen for the yeast, which they need to reproduce. Did you top it back off with more juice?

Nah, only lost about a quart and didn't want to mess w/ it too much, not to mention my sore a$$ and bruised pride.

Im on my first batch of cider. How soon should I see action in the bubbler. Its been 12 hours and not a bubble yet.

Back