Strange Taste Developing...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhoman

Reaction score
I've got a weird, bubblegum-like taste developing in the Christmas ale I brewed about two months ago. It tasted great (nice and spicy!) after three weeks of carbonation, and I cracked on open tonight to see how it was comin along and discovered this funky development.

I ferment in my basement where temps stay between 60 and 62 degrees. I've heard that high fermentation temps can cause the bubblegum taste, but I didn't think it was slow to develop (nor did I think my temps would cause it).

Could this just be a one bottle deal? What could cause this? If not, will the taste diminish with time? I'm a little bummed cause I thought some of it would make great holiday gifts for my brew lovin friends.

Thanks!

It's a CloneBrew of Anchor's 'Our Special Ale -1995'. I love this brew every Christmas, so I figured I'd give making it a try.

9 oz. Crystal 40L
5 oz. British Chocolate Malt
4.5 lb Extra Light DME
4 lb Alexanders Pale Malt Extract (liquid)
2 oz Malto Dextrin

1.25 oz Northern Brewer (60 min)

1/4 oz Northern Brewer (45 min)
1/2 inch Vanilla Bean (45 min)
1/4 tsp. Nutmeg (45 min)
1/4 tsp. Anise (45 min)
1 tsp Irish Moss (45 min)

1/2 inch Vanilla Bean (15 min)
1/4 tsp Anise (15 min)

Pitched Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale

Bottled with Light DME

Thanks again.

PS - If you're looking for a good recipe book, the owners of my LHBS (www.maltose.com) wrote Beer Captured, which has about 100 homemade recipes for commercial beers, as well as a "Cooking with Beer" section. Fun book.

I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say it's probably the spices you added. They might neeed more time to balance out and blend into the flavor of the beer.

Back