PID controller - timer wiring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angrypiratebrewing

Reaction score
Hey team, long time reader, first time poster.

I'm based in New Zealand, and have been all grain brewing for about 18 months now with some great results. In the goal of consistency I've recently begun the switching to electric.

I'm in the process of building a PID controller. I want to incorporate a timer - wake up and brew style - and having trawled the forum I can't quite find the exact answer to my question.

I have purchased a REX-C100 with Fotek 40a SSR and heat sink, and a cheap digital timer (CN101A).

I have a fairly basic understand of how this all works, and when it comes to building the unit I'm going to have an electrician friend of mine give me a hand. But I wanted to get the plan right before going much further.

I want to ensure the full draw of the element did not run through the timer - as I'm pretty sure it will melt it! I've read it's not a good idea to place the timer between the PID and element as it may affect the learning capability of the PID. So I've come up with a bit of a plan (attached). This is only the wiring plan to power the unit.
(I've also got a small 230v fan I'd like to come on when the PID is on).
(the 'switch's on the image are not separate switches, just the point at which the timer or SSR switches the current).

Any feedback greatly appreciated!

ygU-cBaLoKMbyzfRRg1d3FOWPou4FiIzidBoGJctUs0STA38WYFauVaeNfHk6Bdh72fvzw_KuUKRAMqA05VSFEws3q9WsOO_ADuR2l8g0JrEonO2Oi7bdd12YrfVM8X15aCH_LvTaLrvzaFZIV8lzBwQnrlGW75kF-K3dleK4Jr4GYMokn4QWORupiPIs8R89r76sb-VJpLy446I4QwQItiRqv5mZXZbmP3JbGHstvK1A_Gik9lFDMerGxy2npSA-zm_T1fBcnefJs_VWfMX_Q8h8W8xyNcO4OOQwNHzhQJgqhUUS3dZFvzHs12kkEzEijBwZh10fehio0Q-NktyLlzf1WJps7H1Gqj9SVt56HervW3IT3ae_wqfqE-wyQnLHuDGLzW3PPwRbB9yK-WVUyEGjj18g7GlssipKsduMeeq3rSlnO-pBnH-DU-ykADv7MWpUlMXt1Vzjm3hVaqX2bRyz2VWebYAV89d-1d80lr3XIDVsmsDWMpT1Uu4KU6pK8p-EE-UztBDScNrbWp97-qnHaFC_LHe27FmxNwdIlDQC6jBpGHj-2Mgecu2CGAT87_6kMZCHYkfq0ks7TbxWMuoM2G0rQagY8WR7oTS_ZjXt-eNWDiTVg=w1106-h483-no

PID plan.jpg

I just came to HBT to find an option for a timer, so thanks for the link.

With regards to your premise though, I was under the impression that PIDs don't learn when not in autotune mode, so it should be safe to wire your timer between the PID and the SSR. That said, I don't know how reliable my source was.

Hey APB! Did you ever give this approach a try? I too am interested in being able to set a time for my electric HLT to begin heating strike water. I’m struggling to figure out a way to do this for all the same reasons you described. If this didn’t work, did you pursue other routes?

Hey @Jayhawk79 , yes! It works as expected. Turn the timer to manual "on", set the PID temp, set the wake up time, turn the timer to "timer" mode. Done ;)

My homemade controller..
Jm9-vGZj450_n8Av2hSX-9eWppd8pn4pWRMThvHYlz4zAVKs-i9HqMTYUMeqc-u5gtBiwy34ZmtPQO2aOYGS4B6OfVt3hoWaZku7o0yWOA8PjhSBmIA5x10H-56Q4lk0RpY_fFpDMoq_e_cVQDrG6hBwyXbHFUTA2BKlMImoJtEjs0VGYVlBgk_bYZFeVltZw3RbJnYn1Ar9t_PFba8S7edyw8MLKpAlPLIpD3yf0iQKR_mNmTlDLcF5auPVZqaHiOTr-Nc_sj3ghBEBkQ5qiy5WqI_kHImEgp53peJBCxQdkd0uTaqDZMojTLyTlSFZIbxFQvmkYtUTz7SNvWrhL0afgJGF-Uul7IEXNnE3o-OxR3kOkFJOhBUnxTSMts__eeDB9fx9px0Va_Nq1f59aXaRjIELDL6EU2aBtrYmVEDMsYFXp7Z6Ii5yuWdXb6-ApTAUYOec7WQL9x6zgq__bmbyTS3pxgKEOCUy6QAIZn_GFUXW2x1Ex8UriVq5FWiiAUtxtPjThsA1CnoXoD-fsJnrHnYB_m_q2uovrqOaOx6GHRAiuwSBwe1FiRF_NI5bXh2np556hBGIHttbPWf1jgTWbOLudmqr5i9wCR4gJIkZMBWeyE-cbNeAD3K5cgehSfq3qhDYDw8tjOv25_eOA8m37GxKdbmTmrH0QRPb9u7qoQ=w1346-h1009-no

please use a different SSR
these foteks use very under rated components.
A 40A fotek uses a 25A triac, a 25A fotek uses a 12A triac.

compared to other SSR's they are not completely filled with resin.

there are other cheap better SSR's

Back