I Too Have a Spa Panel Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bstway

Reaction score
First, I must apologize for resurrecting this topic. I've looked at most of the spa panel threads and all of the ones that seem to pertain to my needs no longer have photos. My dedicated dryer circuit terminates with a non-grounded 10-30R receptacle (H-H-W). Does anyone (P-J?) know how this depiction (snagged from a very helpful post on this forum) would change for my situation? Additionally, any clarity on how the spa panel's 50A GFCI breaker is compatible with the 30A circuit would be helpful, as well.

gfci_wiring_437.jpg

First, I must apologize for resurrecting this topic. I've looked at most of the spa panel threads and all of the ones that seem to pertain to my needs no longer have photos. My dedicated dryer circuit terminates with a non-grounded 10-30R receptacle (H-H-W). Does anyone (P-J?) know how this depiction (snagged from a very helpful post on this forum) would change for my situation? Additionally, any clarity on how the spa panel's 50A GFCI breaker is compatible with the 30A circuit would be helpful, as well.

gfci_wiring_437.jpg
the spa panel will work as far as gfci protection regardless of amps up to 50 max. The idea is you hve another 30a breaker in the main panel that feeds this spa panel power. that one is protecting from overlimit draw... Some people connect the ground to the neutral bus if theres only 3 wires (as they are in the main panel) as Ive read the gfci function will still work although it wont pass code this way.

Thanks. I was under the impression that it would meet code since it’s a dedicated circuit and the main box commingles earth grounds and neutrals, as well.

Thanks. I was under the impression that it would meet code since it’s a dedicated circuit and the main box commingles earth grounds and neutrals, as well.
nope... The two should only meet in the main box. At least thats what I read over and over here from electricians who post.

Here's the drawing that shows how to derive a 4-wire (H-H-N-G) GFCI protected feed from a 3-wire (H-H-N). As noted, it does not meet code, which means you can't hard wire it into the structure. But, since you are coming off a dryer outlet, that shouldn't be a problem. I believe this drawing is from P-J, but don't know for sure. Blue & red are the hots, yellow is neutral, and green is ground.

Spa Panel w 3-wire feed.jpg

Brew on :mug:

Thanks. I assume 10/4 SOOW would be appropriate for the output since the circuit is still only 30A regardless of the 50A breaker? This is all pretty annoying since I have room in my main box for a clean 4 wire run. The problem there is it's in my garage with no water/drainage. My utility room is ideal except for this outdated wiring I'm having to work around. Running a new line to that location isn't a good option either (diagonal locations in the house and all finished areas).

Thanks. I assume 10/4 SOOW would be appropriate for the output since the circuit is still only 30A regardless of the 50A breaker? This is all pretty annoying since I have room in my main box for a clean 4 wire run. The problem there is it's in my garage with no water/drainage. My utility room is ideal except for this outdated wiring I'm having to work around. Running a new line to that location isn't a good option either (diagonal locations in the house and all finished areas).

Yes, you can use 10AWG, since the current is being limited by the 30A main breaker.

Brew on :mug:

Back