a few questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saskman

Reaction score
Welch's Frozen Grape Juice Wine
2 cans (11.5 oz) Welch's 100% frozen grape concentrate
1-1/4 lbs granulated sugar
2 tsp acid blend
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
water to make 1 gallon
wine yeast
Bring 1 quart water to boil and dissolve the sugar in the water. Remove from heat and add frozen concentrate. Add additional water to make one gallon and pour into secondary. Add remaining ingredients except yeast. Cover with napkin fastened with rubber band and set aside 12 hours. Add activated wine yeast and recover with napkin. When active fermentation slows down (about 5 days), fit airlock. When clear, rack, top up and refit airlock. After additional 30 days, stabilize, sweeten if desired and rack into bottles.
1. it says to "stabilize" what do they mean by that?

2. will I need to degas this since I will bottle it?

Stabilizing is only necessary if you want to sweeten the wine when it's done. When it's completely done, you add 1 campden tablet per gallon and a small amount of sorbate (I'd have to look up the amount for a gallon, but it's like 2/3 tsp for 5 gallons) and rack the wine into it. After a few days, you can sweeten it as desired and no re-fermentation should start. Then you can bottle it. If you're not sweetening it, it's not necessary.

This is not a very gassy wine. You shouldn't need to degas it at all. Very few wines need to be degassed, usually only kit wines.

Back