Coopers kits are ****!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I know that it's usually just best to piece the items together on your own. Homebrew kits are kind of like shirts that just come in one size. For some people, it's going to be awesome. For most people, it won't be effective. So even though I've never bought this kit, it's probably safe for me to agree.

My first brew was a Cooper's wheat beer. It came out very true to style but nothing fabulous. I think kits are a good way to show people what is needed to make a beer before they piece their own recipes together.

I've used a lot of Cooper's IN recipes. If the beer doesn't come out good,take a hard,honest look at the process used to make it. Blame the brewer,not the brew. You have to set up the right conditions for it's sucess or failure. But I will admit that tweaking them makes them better.

I'm thinking that the one thing I should try that is different in my process is leaving the brew in the primary for longer to clear up the funny flavors.. Also I have a question. What's the best way to add bitterness and hop flavor to these kits hop tea? Dry hopping wont give you flavor or bitterness will it? Was thinking making a tea out of some goldings or fuggles hops...

I think they're alright. If I want to make a quick brew to drink then I use them. I don't like the coopers yeast though. I'll buy some safeale 05 for a coopers kit.

Yep. And their yeast is also rubbish. It has a terrible "woody" flavor and smell to it.

I know people make beer with them, and like them, and that's great. But lots of people make soup with Campbell's Soup and like that as well. And I think it's terrible.

I'm glad that there is something for everyone, but when I made a Cooper's kit as a relatively new brewer, I would have been terribly disappointed and quit brewing if I hadn't made a better kit first and knew it was possible. Since I had made a decent beer out of Brewer's Best kit, I realized it was the crap prehopped canned LME and not homebrewing in general that made a bad beer.

Hey, I'm not an Aussie but my surname IS Cooper!! lol

Seriously, I haven't used a Cooper's kit in 12 or more years but not because of the quality. I just found that Northern Brewer and AustinHomeBrew are better...

Well, I guess it was the quality! But they're not horrible... wait...

I guess a lot of it depends on what you are used to drinking. Before getting into homebrewing I almost exclusively drank Molson Canadian and Labatt's Blue. Specialty or imported beers were reserved as a very rare treat. The domestic Canadian stuff is expensive to begin with ($2 per bottle - we're taxed to death) and the other stuff is rediculous.

I found that with a Cooper's Canadian Blonde beer kit (including the yeast) and a Munton's Beer Kit Enhancer I could produce a beer I enjoyed at least as much as the Molson and Labatt's beer I was used to. I did however ignore the temperature and fermentation time listed in the instructions. I ferment (primary only) for three weeks at 18degreesC and then leave it in the bottle for at least three weeks before cracking the first one.

Opinions are like arseholes: everyone has one (and sometimes they stink:)). Here's my opinion. Coopers kits aren't that bad as far as I'm concerned. I've found a couple that I like and I'm currently exploring ways to make better beer using them.

I made a batch from Coopers Lager and added some extras to it (DME and hops) and I think it came out pretty well, I'll also note that it is on par with Canadian macro brews and I think actually a bit better. Certainly a good base that can be tweaked.

The OP referred to off flavours, if that's the case maybe there is a problem in the brew process.

Bottom line is that Coopers kits are catering to the guy that wants beer fermented and drinkable in a couple of weeks, so have to keep expectations realistic.

I don't think they are rubbish, but I don't think they're anything special either. You can certainly make acceptable beer with a Coopers kit if you follow basic sanitation and temperature control. Honestly, I made one Coopers kit and moved on to all-grain. I'm glad that the Coopers beer kit that my wife bought me years ago got me into homebrewing (and a sweet primary as well), but if you're really interested in the hobby you might be better off trying other kits.

I've never tried coopers, but I've done other extract kits, you really have to tweak them, especially if you want to rid of that extract twang....I hate that !

Ive got a coopers real ale kit in a king keg at the moment. Its been there for about a week. I have tasted it and although its not bad there is a slight after taste thats not that good. Anyway u guys r talking about tweaking these kits what would u recommend doing and at what stage in the brewing process.

dstranger99 said:
I've never tried coopers, but I've done other extract kits, you really have to tweak them, especially if you want to rid of that extract twang....I hate that !

I think that's what I'm tasting from my first 2 batches! The second of the 2 being not so bad. But they have that twang and I think with this 3rd batch I have possibly drowned out the twang with malt and hops! Here's hoping that I have anyway c",)

Actually come to think of it. In the second batch I used Nottingham yeast and fermented at about 13c-14c. It produced such a clear clean crisp beer but still with the "twang" taste..

Ive got a coopers real ale kit in a king keg at the moment. Its been there for about a week. I have tasted it and although its not bad there is a slight after taste thats not that good. Anyway u guys r talking about tweaking these kits what would u recommend doing and at what stage in the brewing process.

I usually swap out for a different yeast, fermented at a reasonable temperature, use more DME and would use less, to no, dextrose, depending on the kit. I also add a small amount of steeping grain and do some late hop additions.

However, after doing all that, your Coopers kit isn't quite as cost effective as it once was. The main reason I have my one Coopers kit/recipe on hand is that it allows me to have an incredibly quick brew day, ending up with a decent beer and still feeling like I had some hand in the creative process.

You can look at my recipes under my avatar for how I use Cooper's cans. It can produce a better beer. I'm using the cans in PM brews now,but I'm still in the tweaking stage before listing them.:mug:

I wouldn't call them ****, they won't create a spectacular beer but they're not the worst I've tried

If your starting out there`s nothing wrong with coopers kits or even mr beer kits, they will all produce a form of beer you will be proud of, as you read, learn and brew more you will eventually be able to produce the beers you desire, i have actually enjoyed most coopers kits ive brewed, but being more experienced i look for improving with the knowledge i have gained-here is a good reference for improving your coopers kits-http://www.aussiehomebrewing.com/Customize/CustomizeCoopers.html

So with a kit, can you leave it in primary for longer to let it clear. The guy at my lhbs said that if you leave in primary (or secondary) whatever the case may be, for too long the yeast dies and it won't carbonate. This is of course if your bottling as opposed to keg with force carb. Does this sound legit? Or would a guy pitch some more yeast prior to priming?

So with a kit, can you leave it in primary for longer to let it clear. The guy at my lhbs said that if you leave in primary (or secondary) whatever the case may be, for too long the yeast dies and it won't carbonate. This is of course if your bottling as opposed to keg with force carb. Does this sound legit? Or would a guy pitch some more yeast prior to priming?

Nah,yeast autolysis is a thing of the past. At least on our scale it is. Commercial brewers have such huge fermenters,there's a lot of pressure on the yeast & trub at the bottom. Not so with our lil batches. So no worries there...:mug:

Alright cool, so if I left it in primary for say 3 weeks and bottled there shouldn't be any problem carbonating? I'm just wanting to try and clear up the beer and figured a little longer in the tub would help.

Alright cool, so if I left it in primary for say 3 weeks and bottled there shouldn't be any problem carbonating? I'm just wanting to try and clear up the beer and figured a little longer in the tub would help.

I only use a primary, dry hopping and all, unless in the rare instance I am fruiting my beer....never less than 4 week. Clears up great with no problems carbing.

Cooper's kits have their place with Mr. Beer kits for first timers. That having been said, if a prospective brewer is picking my brain I would be making other recommendations.

3 weeks in primary should get it cleared pretty good. Plenty of yeast to carbonate with. And Cooper's cans can be used to make some good beers.
Try my Sunset Gold APA recipe sometime with your favorite hops.
I also use the same basic recipe (malts) for my BuckIPA. Just the hops & hoping schedule change. Gives a nice amber orange color too. So if you're still into AE,give it a shot! You can see pics of them in my photos.

im just back to brewing and these kits give me the ability to have a drinkable result in no time. i have already started substuting high malt gluctose and next kit i will use dry malt extract or liquid. these kits are a stepping stone to better beer at a better price.

Not a fan of kits. I tell any new brewer to avoid kits, they diminish creativity and fun, and are not terribly reliable as far as quality and freshness. My recommendation to any new brewer is to get to know the local homebrew shop owner and ask for a great first recipe.

To me, most of the fun is designing a recipe. Kits = boring. I know someone will respond with how much they love kits, cool! Enjoy your kits, I'll enjoy f'ing with the mainstream and being creative.

I think "garbage in, garbage out" is more appropriate.

Not really. If you can't make a good beer out of something simple,how're you going to make a good beer out of a complex one? I personally think the Cooper's Original Series is brewed with bittering only to give the beginner a place to start experimenting while keeping it simple.

I view Cooper's kits as beer ingredients. When I started off they were the only ingredient (plus dextrose I guess). Then I added another ingredient, DME. Then I added steeping grains. Then I added hops. Then I added 2-row (partial mashing). Then I added chocolate and lactose. Then I swapped out the yeast. You get the picture.

So far at the base of nearly every beer I've made you'll find a Cooper's kit (or two, Stout/Dark Ale tocan for instance). I'm still experimenting and having fun (ie. not bored). The beers have been interesting and sometimes pretty good.

My dark hybrid lager is based on a Cooper's can. I added a small partial mash & German ale/kolsh yeast. Just had to revisit my days of recombinent extract with Cooper's.

Latest posts

Back