Airlock Fermentation Filter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adrenaline-Junkie

Reaction score
Threw this together to lessen or get rid of off smells produced by some fermentation. This has probably been done before but hopefully this will help people out there. I live in an apartment in a city and dealing with strong odors isnt really an option for me or my neighbors. lol

Anyway, i started with an 8oz wide mouth squeeze bottle and cut down the top end. It just so happen that the bottles i used were a perfect fit and the airlock cap slipped into the bottle cap perfectly. After that i just popped a few holes in the bottom of the bottle. Lastly you fill the bottle with activated carbon (i went with fine carbon but larger pieces should work) and used a piece of tshirt to keep carbon from getting into the airlock.

All together this setup costs less that $10. Im sure you could do it cheaper depending on what you use. Regardless its a hell of a lot cheaper than a hydroponic style filter and works just as well for the application.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYjtHN_XwdI&feature=youtu.be

DSC02287_zps801c21ea.jpg

Meh, you make more odors when you boil the wort which (surprisingly) a lot of people don't like. Unless you're using red wine yeast that has been described as smelling like "rhino farts", I think you'll be fine.

EDIT: That also looks like it could get clogged easily with krausen, which is no bueno.

Its more of a precautionary kinda thing. I live with someone otherwise i wouldnt bother unless the circumstances really called for it. I love the smell of the wort boiling. lol

How do you fill both the container with carbon and the airlock with water without spilling one or the other? I'd imagine if you filled the squeeze bottle completely, the carbon would fall out as you try to screw it onto the airlock. Do you just not fill it the whole way?

I'm just asking because I recently made one with a solo cup and an o-ring (to hold the cup up) and ran into a similar situation. I like your version better and want to figure out the logistics before I upgrade.

The piece of fabric goes over the bottle opening so when you screw the lid on the carbon cant fall out.

Back